Chapter 6: Neccesary?

I storm into the castle, glaring at anyone who looks at me weirdly. Great way to make friends, River. Great way. I take a deep breath to calm myself down before walking into the great hall for dinner. I take a seat near Lily Evans, a girl I met yesterday at the beginning of the year feast. "Hello" she smiles at me, as I pile plate on my food. "Hi!" I smile at her, watching the great hall fill up. "You're name is Arya isn't it?" She asks me. "Well ye, but River is actually what people call me, so you can too." I tell her. "Lils, quid ditch tryouts are in a couple of days!" A pretty girl says, coming up behind Lily and looking excited. "Oh hi!" She says to me, smiling. "My names Marlene McKinnon." "Hi, I'm River Lupin." She sits down beside me. "So are you a transfer or something like that?" "Kind of, I just got here yesterday, I'm Remus Lupin's sister." "Ah, okay." She smiles, starting to eat dinner. "So, did you say quidditch tryouts were coming up?" I ask her, and she nods vigorously. Me, Marlene and Lily get into a long discussion about quidditch, eating dinner at the same time. "Well Black and Potter are almost guaranteed places-" Marlene is cut off when Remus and the boys walk in. "And he's a complete prat and-" Sirius mutters, but he's cut off when he looks up. I stare at him, and he stares back, his eyes boring into mine. "Padfoot, you're being the prat right now." Remus tells him. "C'mon, mate, he can be friends with whoever she wants." James reasons, walking over. I break my eye contact with Sirius and look down, my food suddenly becoming interesting. "Ye I know!" Sirius says defensively. "But it's my brother, and he's.. I don't know." There's silence for a bit, before James takes a seat opposite Lily. He grins at her and runs a hand through his messy hair. Lily rolls her eyes, and Remus sits beside me with Peter. I turn, trying not to look at him, and come face to face with Sirius. I sigh, eating my food and ignoring them all. "River.." Remus starts, watching me warily. "Remus, I told you to save it!" I tell him. "I know, I know, but listen." He tells me, putting his hand on my arm gently. "What?" I snap at him. "The only reason I got mad earlier was because I didn't know where you were! I thought you were lost! And then you came around the corner with them.." "Them?" I ask, narrowing my eyes. "My brother and Snivellus." Sirius informs me, and I realise they've all been listening. "His name is Severus! And for you're information he's very nice, and I find you're brother Regulus to be nice and friendly and charming and what you lot did was not necessary!" I say hotly, standing up and wrenching my arm from his grip. "So, like I said, Remus, save it." I spit, spinning and hurrying out of the hall. "That was not necessary!" I hear Lily say to the boys behind me, but I keep walking. I storm out of the doors and into the courtyard, heading for I don't know where. I wipe the falling tears from my eyes as my vision blurs. I will not cry. I repeat this to myself as I walk hurriedly away.