Chapter 14: Halloween.

"I still can't believe you tickle the pear!" I say incredulously, plonking down beside Remus at the Halloween feast, a few days after tryouts. Remus laughs, offering me juice. "I've always loved the Halloween feast!" James says, messing up his hair and laying a snitch down on the table beside him. "Because there's so much food?" I ask, raising my eyebrows. "No!" He says defensively. "I have to admit, Hogwarts at Halloween is amazing!" I say, looking around the room. Glowing pumpkins surround the room, smiling with wide teeth. Candles illuminate the room, lighting the hallways and the tables. "Let's drink! To you're first Halloween at Hogwarts, River!" James says, raising his cup. "To me!" I laugh, banging bis cup with mine. "And this isn't even the best bit, we still have the prank." Sirius says. "Which means we need to leave." Remus says, standing up.
"I have to admit, I thought it'd be better than this." I smirk as we walk quietly down a dark corridor. "Hey!" Peter whispers. "Ye! We put hard work into this!" Sirius whispers from beside me. "Okay, okay, sorry!" "We were busy anyway, with Quidditch tryouts so closely put with Halloween." "Fair enough." I shrug, as we turn a corner.

***********

Back in the great hall a half hour later, we wait for the small prank to commence. As everyone talks and laughs, eating food, I sit in nervous anticipation. "It'll be fine, no one will catch us." Sirius says, seeing me nervous. I smile gratefully at him, looking around. Suddenly, with a flicker, every candle lighting the room extinguishes. There's a small silence before people start to panic. There's a lot of shuffling and talking loudly, before the candles relight. McGonagal stands at the top of the hall, her wand outstretched. She relit the candles. "Silence, please!" She says, her voice loud and stern. Everyone immediately sits back down, each at their own table. Then, slowly, as the hall returns to normal, Sirius starts laughing. Looking up, James grins and starts laughing too. Remus grins sheepishly, not looking up from his plate of foot. Peter cackles softly, his eyes fixed on James and Sirius. Looking up, I smirk and start slowly laughing with the boys. As we look across the room, the table of Hufflepuffs start to look horrified. This is because the Ravenclaws' hair has started to turn a bright blue, and some bronze. The Hufflepuffs' hair have started slowly changing to yellow and black, making them look shocked and horrified. There's a loud shriek from a brown haired girl at the Gryffindor table as well. Watching, with tears streaming down my face, her hair turns red and yellow. The whole hall starts half laughing, half crying as the scene unfolds. Looking up, I see James, who is wrapping a red and gold Gryffindor flag around his shoulders. His hair, I notice, has changed from it's usual jet black to a deep red and gold. Remus, Peter, me and Sirius, all look the same. I laugh, clutching my stomach as the Gryffindor lion rises on the flag, stretching across the roof top. Some people laugh, some sob hysterically, and others just sit, shocked. Then slowly, very slowly, there's a small clap from the back of the room. It continues, echoing off the walls. Another pair of hands join in, and another and another, until the whole is filled with loud cheering and insistent clapping. James grins broadly, clearly being proud of his prank, and his ability to pull it off. Sirius laughs, a bake like sound that hold warmth and happiness, bouncing off the walls. Peter and Remus laugh, though more quietly, and I sit, grinning broadly at my brother and his friends, who are now my friends too. "Potter!" A voice calls, and I look up to see Wood and the boy I met at the pitch, walking toward us. "Is this a bad time?" He asks, clearly not meaning it. "No better time, Wood, no better time." James smiles, getting down from the table where he stood, much to the disapproval of Professor McGonagal. "Well, I just wanted to let you" he points to Sirius, "and you" he points to me "Made this years quidditch team." "Seriously?" I ask him, jumping up and widening my eyes. "Yes! You both played well, and I think with you two, me and Potter, we may have a chance of winning this year." Jumping forward, I throw my arms around Wood, gripping his shoulders tightly. He laughs and hugs me back, tying to support me. "Well done! I'm Edward by the way." The boy from the pitch smiles. "Edward!" I say, hugging him too. He squeezes me tightly, smiling into my hair. "We made the team!" Sirius tells me as the hall settles down again and Wood walks away with Edward. "We did!" I grin, lifting my arms and placing them around his neck. Sirius wraps his arms around my waist, holding me close.