Chapter One

I was having another one of those dreams. They were always cheesy, but affective.

In the dream, that man haunted me constantly. His face was hidden behind a ski mask, just like the day I met him. He was slender, mysterious and intriguing. I was tempted to pry the mask off of his head, but that's when they showed up.

S.H.I.E.L.D.

Kicking and screaming, they throw me into their truck and lock me behind bars. There, I meet Blaine Spencer and the story begins...

***

I feel my body shaking and wake with a jolt. Blaine is standing over me, shaking my shoulders. His long black hair hangs low in his eyes, his pupils wide with worry. I can tell something's not right. I sit up, grabbing his arms in confusion and fear.

"Something's going on." He says urgently and he helps me to my feet. Wondering how he got into my cell, I see that the bars have retracted and everyone is out in the corridor, standing with their cuffs behind their backs. This can't be good.

"What kind of something?" I ask, tilting my head slightly. I follow him out of the cell, lining up with the others.

"A weekly inspection." Says a voice from a few feet away.

Suddenly, the ground shakes and I trip, slamming my palms into the concrete.

"Hey! Watch your step kid. Becoming a human pancake is never a good way to go." Quips a voice above me. Looking up, I come face to face with Tony Stark in his Iron Man suit, face exposed. He has an eyebrow raised as he clicks his tongue. "Back in line princess. No cutsies!"

I scramble back into the line, aided by Blaine.

"So, who's up for a ticket out of here?"

I look around, tediously raising my hand. I'm not exactly certain as to why I did it, but my mind reacted before it registered his words, resulting in my stupid move. Blaine glares at me but I ignore him, focusing on Tony.

Tony turns, locking eyes with me. "You, human pancake, what do you have your hand up for?"

"I just - I thought - um..."

"Um, um, um, spit it out kiddo."

I sigh.

"How about sometime this week? Will that work for you?" He taunts.

"Tony." Says a stern and agitated voice down the line toward the huge metal doors. Steve Rogers stands at the entrance, his chest puffed out in a dominant fashion. He steps down, making his way over to me.

"I was just playing Cap," Tony chuckles.

"Yeah, well you yourself have stated that you don't play well with others," He checks him over, pursing his lips. "Clearly evident." He mutters and turns to me "Now, what seems to be the matter here ma'am?"

"I'm not supposed to be here."

"Likely story," Tony mumbles, rolling his eyes. I resist the urge to walk over there and push him into a cell to see how he likes it.

Steve punches Tony's suit, a huge clang echoing through the cells. "What do you mean by that?" He asks me, ignoring Tony as he acts injured.

"I was framed," I say hastily, remembering the masked figure that ratted me out to security, landing me here.

"Well, what did you supposedly do?"

"I kinda... stole something from Stark Towers?" I mumble, shuffling my feet and averting his sympathetic eyes.

"Wait!" Tony perks up, poking me in the chest. Feeling suddenly violated, I flinch away. Blaine watches Tony with careful eyes. "You're the kid who stole the blueprints for my new missile prototype for the Iron Man suits?"