Chapter Three

"No, it's like this." Blaine sighs and takes the weight from me. My shoulders ache. I am a weakling and everyone knows that.
He curls the weight up effortlessly, placing his body against the wall and exercising his biceps. I watch in awe. He's like Superman!
"Here, try again." He hands it to me and I try to pick it up. As he lets go, the weight falls to my palms and it drags me down. I fall down along with it. I hear chuckles from a few feet away. I look up at Loki, who is laughing at me.
"Please, don't stop what you're doing. It's quite entertaining!" He laughs.
I make a sound in my throat that resembles something of a growl and a grunt as I get to my feet, suppressing the urge to swing this damn weight at his face. Picking up the weight for one last attempt, I curl it with tremendous effort. As it descends, my arms start to shake and I give a strained exhale.
"You are the definition of weakling!" Loki snarls in my ear - as if I don't know that already! At this point, I'm trying extremely hard to keep my hands to myself instead of slamming my fist into his nose several times over.
"Hey boss," I say. "As much as your motivation is appreciated, oh wait - it isn't! Get the hell away from me."
Loki's face drops and his eyes narrow at me. "I'm going to enjoy detention with you." He smiles and walks away to inspect some of the others.
Blaine steps toward me, leaning in close. "You have to be more careful. You're going to blow our cover."
"Well, I don't like being ruled."
"You were made to be ruled. That is precisely why society was created, for the purpose of subjugation." Loki calls over.
"Jesus," Blaine mutters. "How did he hear that?"
"I am a god, mortal. I see and hear all." He says and once again, stalks off. Obviously, not all if he hasn't found us out yet.

***

That night, I make my way back to my dorm but am stopped by Loki.
"What do you want now?"
"Don't you remember our little chat this morning? Detention ward, now."
"But, I need to get my stuff!" I struggle against the grip he has on my wrist, but surrender due to the ache in my shoulders. I really hate fitness.

"This is the detention ward?" I ask in awe.
The room is beautiful, the walls are painted a deep maroon, a kitchen, two bedrooms, a living room with a huge mahogany table in the middle with two chairs. I had imagined a cement cell like the one back at Stark Towers. Maybe even a dump would suffice, but this? This is surreal and completely unexpected.
"Yes, dreadful isn't it?" Taken aback by his reaction, I break free of his grip and step inside, taking it all in.
"Yeah, disgusting." I lie, noticing that he actually means what he said.
"You are not to leave this premise without permission. Also, I shall accompany you at all times, no questions asked."
"Why?"
"What did I just say?"
"You said a lot, but I tuned you out because I got bored." I flop down on the couch.
"How dare you! I am a god! I am not to be ignored!" Loki yells and I wave him away, giggling.
"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've heard worse threats, believe me."
Loki walks over to me and pulls me to my feet. I am so close to him that I can feel his chest rise and fall with every breath he takes. His armor is uncomfortable against my torso so I squirm.
"Listen little girl-"
"I am not a little girl. I am seventeen years old. And I may be a mortal, but I'm still able to kick your godly ass into tomorrow." I sneer, squinting up at him.
"You are minuscule compared to my power. My authority over you is tremendous, yet you continue to rebel against me. Why?"
"Because you have to stick it to the man. And that's exactly what I intend to do." I snarl in a whisper. His eyes flash and he lets me go.
"You'll soon regret that choice." He growls and turns away from me. He takes his horned helmet off and places it on a coat hanger. He's a gentleman? Noted.
"So, what's for dinner, sweetie?" I joke and smirk. He turns and walks toward me slowly. Now, he is so close that I can see every strand of jet black hair on his head.
He picks me up, flipping me over his shoulders and slamming me down onto the floor, hard. The breath in my lungs is knocked out of me and I gasp for air. His staff materializes in his hands and he swings it toward me, levelling it with my throat. Alright, maybe discard the earlier note about him being a gentleman.
"Try anything and I will kill you."
Taking my two fingers, I push the blade away, giving him a stern look.
"Don't threaten me with promises I know you won't keep. You may be a monster, but you need me desperately. You won't kill me, I am essential to your army." I say and stand, pushing past him.
"Now, I'm hungry, aren't you?" Loki gives me a murderous look and I turn away. Pissing him off is just too easy! But with the staff in his hand, I have second thoughts about my theory. He may need me, but he has hundreds of other worthy applicants in his boot camp, what's with one less? Considering my small, delicate frame, my inability to bench press anything and the fact that I'm secretly invading his boot camp in order to get a one way ticket out of the basement of Stark Towers, I'd say that he's benefit from my departure if anything.
"No." He snaps, watching me as I turn back to him, my eyes widening.
"What do you mean no?" I ask.
"You'll go to bed hungry tonight. After the anger you've caused me in the past twelve hours since you arrived, you deserve to suffer the consequences." He growls.
"Dude, you can't just deprive me of food. It's a necessity!"
"A necessity in which you will acquire tomorrow. Now, steer yourself to your room and stay there, Ms. Talbot, before I come over there an obliterate you on the spot."
"That's an empty promise." I grit my teeth and duck as he swings his staff at me, just missing my head and striking the kitchen counter.
"ROOM. NOW." He yells and I jump, squeaking and running to the room on the left, closing the door behind me. My stomach growls, indicating my extreme hunger and I chew my lip, biting back a scream of frustration. If only I stood a chance at killing him - he'd be dead at my feet already.