Chapter Thirty

Loki's POV

The memories flood back like a tidal wave, my head aching viciously.

I open my eyes, suddenly remembering Becca's small yet warm hands wrapped around mine, fingers intertwined. Her eyes staring up at me during combat practice, her frame fitting perfectly against me as we kiss.

Then, everything that I've to her this week. The Mech, the stalkings, tricking her into thinking I was Thor. Along with the countless people I've murdered, gaping wounds in their chests... Just like Becca's.

Now, as I glance down at her slumped body, scarlet trailing down her chin, my heart splits, regretting it all. The eyes, lifeless. Her hands, cold. Her heart, beatless. She stares up at me with those dead eyes, the light fading, painfully slow. I did that...

My freezing heart becomes colder as the realization sets in that I have just murdered the girl I truly loved. What have I done?

After all the preparation, knowing that she'd die one day, my lungs collapse and I stop breathing, a single tear rolling over my cheek. She's gone too quickly - decades too soon... and it's all my fault...

Kneeling down, I pull her into my shaking arms and stroking her hair. Her face is peaceful, like she's finally happy. It's sickening.

"C'mon Beck, please. You can't just leave me - not now. You idiot, come back to me." I chant softly in her ear but I know that she can't hear my pleas. I've dealt with enough death to know that she's basically gone.

As she lays limp in my arms, I notice the one thing that crushes me completely. She still wears the ring I had given her for her birthday on her finger, like she was proud to admit that she was mine and I was hers. I smile, the anger suddenly flooding my system. Anger toward her, toward Thor, toward the world, toward myself.

Toward Hel.

I rise to my feet, wiping blood that spills from my nose at the cause of Becca's knee. "Hel. What have you done?"

She smiles warmly, oblivious to the atrocity just performed. Bitch. "What I had to, father. That mortal had blinded your better judgement. Shielded you from the true task at hand, the domination of these weaker beings. Do you remember none of that?"

I look down at my staff, still protruding from Becca's chest. I should remove it, give her some kind of comfort. Also, the way her chest surrounds it, blood oozing onto the blade, disgusts me. How can she look so peaceful against the gruesome scene? Only, she's dying - she's happy now. But it's not fair. She should be living, by my side and preparing to beat the shit out of Hel for what she has done to her... to me... to us.

And from that anger, I quickly devise a plan to avenge her. If only Thor will cooperate with my demands...

I shake my head. "Of course, I'm sorry. It's just a bit startling. May I talk to my brother before we begin?" I ask, hoping that she'll buy it.

She nods, leaving the room, and I consider lunging at her, stabbing her straight through her own chest, but I know that Becca will want to be the one with Hel dead at her feet, so I resist.

I trot over to Thor, who is slumped against the pillar. His head lolled back, his blue eyes dull. "Thor?"

Thor moans.

"I need the memory serum and a healing potion as quickly as possible." I hiss, knowing that he's awake.

Thor's eyes meet with mine, shaing a silent understanding. "No, Loki. She's been through enough." He warns, knowing my plan.

"Exactly. I want her to be alive and well even if that means I am wiped from the earth." She'll be happier, and so will I, knowing that she's safe.

"Loki-"

"Please. If you truly love Becca, you will do this for her own good. I'll take care of Hel while you retrieve the supplies. I am begging you brother. Please, if not for me, then for her." I plead, quoting my older brother. He smiles for just a second before grunting and sitting up.

Thor sighs, nodding slowly. "Allow me to collect my strength before leaving." His breaths come out in huffs, his energy scarce.

"I understand," I stand, looking for Hel. I spot her out on the terrace, her black hair blowing in the wind. "Just do it quickly - she has seven minutes before..." I whisper, trailing off glancing down at Becca's still body.

Thor nods. "I will do my best, brother. For, I want her to live just as badly as you do."

***

"Is this what the Tesseract war was like?" Hel asks. Kids, so inquisitive and murderous. She's sickeningly okay with all of this and I loathe her for it. I'll kill her right here and now, daughter or not.

"Yes, in a way. Satisfying yet aggravating." I recount, flashing back to that time two years ago. The era in which I was defeated by the people I now want to work with to save Becca's life. What have I become? Have I downgraded myself, or have I been promoted? I don't know anymore... I used to, when Becca was around - I knew that my life had changed for the better, but now, it's hard to tell. I killed her, and that doesn't help the constant, painful ache in my chest as I picture her bright face and determined nature - the longing she had to question everything, yet act without fully thinking it through first. I loved her - truly. Now, I couldn't remind her anymore and it's all my fault.

Hel turns to face me. It makes me want to vomit, but I look at her, taking in the obvious triumph in her expression. "In what way? You had an army of Chitauri at your side, one of the Avengers under your control, you had everything you could've ever wanted." She questions. "Yes, but I didn't have-" Becca at my side. I long to say, but stop myself before it slips out. "I didn't have as much fire-power as I do now." I correct, smiling and turn to face the chaos. She would never approve of this; she would have a fit if she saw what I was doing at the moment. Then again, she would have a fit just knowing what I did to her. But having her mad at me would hurt less than not having her at all. I hope that Thor will get there in time in order to save Becca. She doesn't have much longer before the darkness completely consumed her body and subconscious.

(Hello! The song for this chapter would be 'Robbers' by The 1975. It's also the defining song for The Rise to Heroism. I've listened to this song like, one milion times and it never gets old. The video makes me cry... Also, SORRY! I DIDN'T MEAN TO KILL HER OFF, WHOOPS! My fingers slipped... Enjoy!)