Chapter Twenty-Three

I stuff another piece of pancake into my mouth, the taste of syrup and strawberries exploding on my tongue.

Tony had said that Steve was a fantastic cook, and it's not that I didn't believe him, but when I tried the pancakes, I believed him even more! So fluffy, drenched in sweetness. Mayple syrup that Tony brought back from a trip to Vancouver two days ago.

"Steve! This is delicious!" I exclaim, wolfing it down. It's been so long since I've had anything this good! It's a long awaited victory.

"Glad to hear, want seconds?" Steve offers, flipping another pancake in the pan. I nod eagerly, watching as it lands perfectly in the center.

"Cake anyone?" Announces Tony, coming in with a huge vanilla cake in his hands. He lays it on the counter triumphantly. I stand up on one of the bars of the stool, peering at the icing. It looks like buttercream with chocolate trim, browines sprinkled over the top.

"What's the occasion?" I ask, smirking.

"None. Just wanted cake." He says, swiping his finger across the icing and popping it in his mouth. "Mmm, creamy as always!"

"Where did you get it from?" I ask, scrambling for a piece before Thor eats it all.

"Betty's Bakery down the road. That old lady's been making my cakes since I was born. God bless her." He slices a piece and stabs it with his fork, piling it into his mouth.

Thor slams his fist on the table. "Delicious! Another!" He booms, smashing his plate off of the corner of the table. Everyone stops and looks at him.

"No, no no!" Tony exclaims. "That was specially imported from Taiwan! What is wrong with you?" He snaps his fingers. "JARVIS, order another set will you? And clean this up while you're at it." He adds, pointing to me.

"Nuh uh. Our agreement was aiding Pepper. Not your China set." I retort.

I'm already his paperwork pack mule! I'm not going to become his assistant maid!

Tony shakes his head in disappointment. "It's so hard to get good help these days." He mutters, his head in his hands.

"Can you pass me that?" Pepper gestures to the stack of paper on the bench behind me.

"Yep," I murmur and slide it across the desk.

Pepper notices my exasperated and bored expression, sighing and pushing the paper away. "Look, I understand that working for Tony isn't the most appealing experience, but he's doing this for two reasons."

"Let me guess, to torture me while I'm still alive and to keep my mind off of Loki and his past schemes?" I count on my fingers, rolling my eyes.

"Okay, maybe four - but the two real reasons make perfect sense. You owe him." She reminds me, raising her eyebrows. "You knowingly snuck Loki into Stark Towers. Also, you attacked Asgard to free him from jail."

"That was because-" I begin but she cuts me off.

"He proclaimed his love for you?" She gives me a understanding look.

I nod slowly, a tad impressed.

"Sorry to break it to you, but he is the God of Mischief."

I hold up a hand, shushing her. "Trust me, he's loved me for longer than you think."

"And how did that happen exactly?" She leans back in her chair.

"You see he was banished to earth by Odin and he encountered me, thus being overly intrigued by me. He then proceeded to travel to earth on secret missions just to check up on me."