Chapter Twenty-Nine

At first, it doesn't hurt. It's just a sudden, intense pressure that stops my breathing, causing me to try to gulp air into my lungs as they start to burn.

But then I look down and see the giant staff protruding from my stomach and the pain floods my system, adding to my fiery lungs. I scream, black dots dancing across my vision. Maybe my love for him had clouded my good judgement. Maybe he wasn't himself after all.

He smiles down at me, tipping my face to meet his. "Goodnight, love." He whispers and I drop, the darkness shrouding my body.

Thor's POV

Hours earlier, he had shown up in her bedroom.

I jumped out of bed, chasing after him as he explored Stark Towers, soaking it all in. If he touched one hair on her head, I would snap him in two and crush the pieces with Mjolnir until they were just black and green dust that peppered Stark's carpet. As if I'd let that happen - so much as a funny look and I'd kill him right then and there, brother or not.

"Loki." I boomed, glaring at his back.

He turned away from the windows, regarding me with a smirk. "Brother, how nice of you to take care of my things while I'm away." He smiled with traces of hatred in his eyes. I didn't like to see him that way, weak, malnourished, angry. What had he been doing up until this point? His sunken eyes bored into my memory, haunting me. He looked so sick and tired. "Keeping her warm, socialized, safe. You even enjoyed helping her play with the toy I sent her. How genuine of you."

"Why are you here?" I demanded, growing annoyed with his games. There was no game when it came to Rebecca - nothing about her was a joke.

Loki chuckled darkly as he slowly started to approach me, eyeing me. "I'm only here to take what's rightfully mine."

"Touch her and I will kill you."

"Defensive are we? Why? Have you fell for her deception brother? I thought you smarter." He cocks his head, smirking wider.

"Rebecca is not capable of deception, I assure you." I clenched my fists.

Loki noticed the small movement, his expression turning grave, yet amused. "Well, I honestly did not see this turn of events. The god of Thunder and prince of Asgard has fallen in love with the girl that his brother adores as well."

My cheeks reddened, suddenly feeling a surge of rage toward my half brother. "'Tis not love, she simply intrigues me with her quirky ways, is all." I stopped. "Wait, how do you remember her?"

"Hel has informed me of my foolish crush upon the mortal. Of how she used me in order to infiltrate Asgard and sent me to that prison so she could usher you all over to her own side. That wench will pay for her sins against me, the God of Mischief." Loki growled, his eyes holding some fondness to them. Maybe it was the part of him, deep down, that remembered Rebecca and her good nature - her brilliant smile, her blue eyes, her curly blonde hair and stubborn attitude towards everything. That was the Rebecca he once loved, and still did somewhere inside.

"Brother, Hel is the one that is using you. Rebecca loved you almost as much as you cared for her. Of course, you fought often but that is because you two are too alike. She is stubborn, brave yet fearful for her life and yours. Please, try to see reason." I plead.

"Forget reason! She has gotten to you as well. You should be ashamed to be the disciple of such a deceptive animal."

I stepped forward. "Arr! Do not speak of Rebecca in that manner!" I huffed and signalled for Mjolnir. The handle slammed into my palm, the weight feeling familiar.

Loki stretched his hands out, inviting me in. "Go ahead. Obliterate me. But know this brother, she will abandon you if you do so."

I stopped, considering this. She did love him, I knew that, no matter how much that irritated me. Surely she'd forgive me if I said it was for self defense. I could lie and say that he attacked me, which resulted in me bashing his skull in - only, that'd never work, not with the depression she'd spiralled into since he left. I could never do that to her, I could not hurt her anymore than she has already been.

I sighed, letting the tension in my body relax. "She is heartbroken enough. It is not fair to betray her in such a way when she is already hurting."

Loki chuckled. "No, it is not fair. But the betrayal will be easier when performed by a loved one with a trusted appearance." His staff materialized and he aimed it toward me, shooting a burst of energy at me. I dodged the first shot, flinging Mjolnir at him, but Loki stepped out of the way and shot again, striking my chest and knocking me backward.

"Thank you brother," Loki whispered as his form shimmered into my face and body. "for your cooperation." He pushed me down the stairs of the towers basement, locking the doors and starting after the bedroom in which Rebecca slept in, leaving me in darkness.

If I didn't break free, he would kill her and wake up just in time to see his gruesome work, weeping over her body. I couldn't let that happen, so I started throwing myself into the door.

Maybe I did love her and maybe I didn't - either way, I was going to save her, even if it meant sacrificing my own life just to preserve hers.