Chapter Five

I fling the dough into the air, showering myself in flour. It falls back into my hands and I slam it down onto the counter.
"Tomato sauce," I request and hold out my hand.
"Which one of these is that?" Loki searches the pile of cans I have stacked on the counter. I point to the can with tomatoes on it and he passes it to me.
"Can opener," I hold out my hand again, expecting to feel the tool being placed in my palm but nothing comes.
I look at Loki who now has his staff in his hands. He aims the tip at the top of the can and yells, me, screaming and ducking away, sending a burst of energy at the can and blowing it open. He hands it to me, a smile spreading on his face. I stare at the can for a moment, afraid to touch it but take it anyway, splashing the sauce on the dough.

"This is delicious!" Loki exclaims as he bites into a slice of the homemade pizza fresh from the oven.
"Right?" I say and laugh at his eager expression.
"What is this again?"
"Pizza."
"Pizza." He echoes and chomps happily on another slice. Sauce explodes from under the cheese, rolling down his chin. Giggling, I throw him a napkin. "You liking it?"
He smiles. "It is quite good, yes. Make this dish everyday."
"This isn't my dorm, I won't be here tomorrow."
"I order you to stay here and make me this every night."
"It doesn't work that way." I explain.
"Well, why can't it?"
"Because, I have a dorm, friends, classes and battles to face. I can't stay here forever. I have a life."
"How about I make you a deal?"
I sit back, sceptical. "Depends."
"Let's make a simple compromise. Would you consider sleeping over here every Thursday to make me this circular delight?"
I smile, biting into my slice. After a long, thoughtful chew, I nod. "Okay. Deal." I stand and walk over to him, spiting on my palm and holding out my hand.
"Excuse me?"
"Spit on your hand and shake on it."
"Is that truly necessary? It seems unsanitary."
"It is, but it's like writing something in blood, only in saliva and no one gets cut open." I thrust my hand out to him once again. Hesitantly, he spits on his palm and clasps my hand, shaking it. He finally lets go, grabbing another napkin and wiping his palm off.
"You mortals and your rituals. I'll never understand Midgard for as long as I live." He mutters.

That night, I lie in bed, staring at the ceiling. The glass communicator freezes my legs, as if giving a signal to call Tony and the others. Huffing a sigh, I pull it out and press the call button, ultimately phoning them.
"Human pancake!" Tony's face hovers in front of me in a blue hologram. He smiles.
"Hi Tony." I say, resenting the new nickname.
"How's it going kid?" I hear Steve call.
"He started to train me today. Only me, so I experienced hand to hand combat with him." I whisper, afraid someone might here me. I can tell that Marzia isn't all that fond of Loki, but that doesn't mean that she isn't loyal to him.
"What?" Steve turns, appearing in the hologram next to Tony. "Why did he train you alone?"
"Well, we got off on a bad start. I've been practically living in the Detention Ward since I got here."
"What did you do to Rudolph the Red Nose Roadkill?" Tony asks and I laugh, covering my mouth with my palm to contain the sound.
"Nothing personal. I just tripped and fell on his foot. He got pissed and sent me here."
"What happened the second time?" Tony raises an eyebrow.
"I might've told him off for being such a prick." I mumble and look away.
"Well, as much as I don't approve," Steve says. "Bad side is better than no side right?"
"Right. Plus, he actually lives in the Detention Ward, therefore I get to keep an eye on him 24/7." I say.
"Good. Keep it up kid and you could be in the big leagues one day." Tony winks and I wave my hand through the image, making the light dissipate and leaving me in complete darkness.

***

"Never thought I'd see you again, Tree Branch."
"Nice to see you too Jade." I say and slam my bag of things onto my bed, flopping down on it. It's nice to be away from Loki and the Detention Ward. It was starting to suffocate me, not having anyone my own age around.
I look at Jade, who's sprawled out on her bed, sharpening a knife. "So, what have you been up to this past week?" I ask, slightly scared of her.
She rolls onto her stomach and sits up. "Training, mostly. Your boyfriend came around a lot looking for you."
"He's not my boyfriend." I inject, flashing back to Blaine's spontaneous kiss on my cheek and feel my face flush, my fingers skimming over the spot.
She gives me a look of disbelief before continuing. "Anyway... we talked a lot actually. Nice guy you got there." She says, focused on her sharpened knife.
"Hey, want to test it out?" I ask.
"Test what out?"
"Your knife. I got a few lessons on knife throwing and combat while I was in detention."
"Get into a fight did ya?" She jokes, cocking an eyebrow.
"No. If it was, Loki would've killed me in seconds."
"Milliseconds." Jade corrects. "But sure, why not?" She pushes off the bed and I follow her out of the dorm.

The tip of the knife hits the target right in the center.
"Damn. You got game." I praise Jade. Her throwing skills are second to none - except maybe Loki's.
"I've practiced once or twice," She says, smiling. "Your turn." I do everything Loki taught me to do yesterday. High elbow, lose grip, thrust and let go. The blade flips over and over, hitting just below the center. I squeal, jumping up and down and pulling Jade in for a triumphant hug. She smiles, pulling away, her face growing serious.
"Let's take this up a notch." She walks over to the human shaped target and stands in front of it. "Try to hit the area around me. Three throws each."
"I don't know," I say, suddenly feeling uneasy. I just got lucky with that shot, I'm not that good. "This doesn't seem safe."
"Screw safe. We're being trained to kill and be killed. What are two less people in his army?"
I inhale sharply. I had thought the same thing not two days ago.
Stepping back, I ready myself. Locked stance, check. Torso facing target, check. Loose grip, check. I am ready to fire.
I fling the first knife, just missing Jade's forearm. The second brushes her leg, the third missing the target completely. Jade steps off, laughing. "You have better aim than I thought, Tree Branch. Your turn as human target practice." I walk down and place my body in front of the target, pressing into it. I fold my arms behind my back, keeping my chin high.
The first knife hits the space around me and I flinch. The second pierces the space between my legs, the third grazing my cheek. I whip my head away, feeling the searing pain and blood trickle down my face.
"Are you okay?" Jade asks. She pulls a cloth from her back pocket and dabs at my cheek. The feeling of her skin on mine stings. She's freezing!
"I'm fine. Just a memoir of my bravery. A pretty bad-ass looking souvenir if you ask me." I smile and we both laugh, heading back to the dorm.
As we walk, I glance over at her, stooped over the temperature of her skin. It literally burned at the slightest contact. I wonder what's wrong with her...
She catches me watching her, frowning. "What?"
I smile, shaking my head. "Nothing. I'm just glad that I'm making some friends - some allies."
She nods, looking away and I purse my lips, sighing inwardly. What the actual hell?