Chapter Twenty-Six

I wake up encased in the arms of an unidentified person. For a split second, I let myself believe that it's Loki, but then the daunting realization dawns on me like it has every single morning since I came back - he's not here, and never will he be again. So I look up to see Thor watching me carefully.

"Good morning, Sleeping Beauty." He says in a gravelly tone. It indicates that he has just woken up as well.

I sniff, snuggling back into the crook of his arm. "Mmm, good morning, Zeus." I say and I can feel laughter bubble in his chest as it bops my head.

"Wrong mythology."

"I know what I said." I retort and sit up. Looking around, my eyes settle back on Thor. "Were you here all night?"

He nods, grinning. "You're quite the cuddle buddy."

I stop. "Uh, thanks." Not creepy at all...

"The thanks is yours."

"What?"

"Meaning that it was nice while it lasted." He smiles and rolls off of the blankets and onto the floor.

"Are the others gone yet?" I silently hope they aren't. Something about this happy-go-lucky Thor is unnerving.

"I suspect so."

"Okay..." I slip on some pajama bottoms and pad out of the room as quickly as I can. Waking up next to my psychotic boyfriend's brother is not something I want to get used to, especially if that psychotic boyfriend is on the loose.

I go out to the kitchen and see a stack of pancakes on the counter, waiting for me to notice them.

For you and Fabio. -Steve

I smile and rip off the plastic wrap. "Thor," I turn and come face to face with him. He cups my face in his hands and leans down, kissing me softly. I squeak in surprise. Great, now I have both brothers after me.

I pull away quickly, looking up at him. He stares at me with an odd gleam in his eye, like he has been waiting for that for quite some time. "Uhhh," I hold up the plate of pancakes in order to get some distance between the two of us. "Pancakes?"

He smirks, taking the plate and kissing me on the cheek before walking over to the already set table. "Please," He pulls out a chair. "Sit."

"Formal, much?" I stay frozen, playing the game. He becomes frustrated and I slowly join him, sitting down. He pushes my chair in with such force that I jolt forward, catching myself on the edge of the table. What is going on with him?

"Yes, indeed." He smiles and slaps a few pancakes onto my plate, passing me the syrup.

I drench them, then cutting into them. They are as soft as butter so the knife passes right through them. I stuff a piece in my mouth, savouring the flavour.

Thor watches me intently and it isn't until I stuff a second piece into my mouth do I realize something is wrong. The pancake tastes acidic. I start to choke, coughing up what looks like blood and I look to Thor for help but he just smiles and starts to laugh.

Standing, he strides over and cups my face. His skin is ice cold.

Loki.

"Did you really think that I'd allow you to toy with my feelings? With my race?" That voice, I never thought I'd hear it ever again. It'd be a relief if not for the fact that he's trying to kill me.

"Loki?" I choke. And the psychotic boyfriend shows up... I mutter inwardly.

He smiles, his form shimmering and revealing the raven prince. My heart skips a beat. My plan worked! I look down at the poison pancakes. Yeah it worked - but he got to me before I had gotten to him. Shit...

His eyes are sunken in, as are the hollows of his cheeks. He's more pale than usual, as if he hasn't eaten or slept in a few days. His hair is slicked back and flipped out at the ends. He looks like the literal version of Hell. The ache of loss comes back as I rake his body. I want to hold him so badly, tell him that it's me, that I love him and that everything's going to be okay if he comes back to me. But I know that if I even try something so stupid, he will slit my throat.

He produces a long dagger from under under his cape to which he presses to my throat. "Stand, wench." He hisses in my ear. I obey, figuring that I have no other choice. He leads me over to the lookout room just off the kitchen, forcing me to look out the huge windows. He tears away the curtains to show me what is really going on outside.

"See what you have done? What you have driven me to do?"

"Loki, what are you-"

"Shut up!" He snaps, digging the dagger in more. I straighten, sucking in a gasp of pain. "Because of you, I had to put fear in these peoples hearts once again. They need to realize that we are the dominant species in these nine realms, not them!"

"What have you done?" I whisper as I watch the chaos outside. There, in the streets, my friends from the compound ride demon-like creatures as they rampage around the city, knocking innocent pedestrians down and murdering them. Blood peppers the pavement and screams of agony fill the atmosphere.

"You monster." I breathe.

I feel him laugh. "No, I'm not the monster. That would be your job." He whispers and whirls me around to face him. "I know your plan. Hel informed me of such and I intend to put an end to your tyranny!" Hel? As in his daughter? What is going on?

"Well could you inform me? Because it seems as though I am an idiot and didn't know that I had any plan!"

He smirks. "You are truly amusing. Such beauty, such brains. Such a waste!" He snarls. "You plan to wipe the nine realms of Jotuns with the help of the Avengers. You then plan to overthrow my daughter and claim the throne of Helheim for yourself. Well, I won't allow it." His staff materializes and he swings the blade to point at me.

"I apologize for this. I really do." He whispers, his expression softening. "Say goodnight, Rebecca." I close my eyes. This is it. I'm going to die at the hands of the one I really love, yet he doesn't remember a thing about me. Love is peculiar...