Chapter Twenty-Four

I observe the mug spin in the microwave eagerly. It looked delicious on the package therefore my expectations are high. Finally, it beeps and I pull it out, setting it on the counter to cool.

I search around for a plate. "JARVIS, where are the dishes?"

"Second cupboard to your left madam." He replies.

"Thank you." I step on my tippy toes, reaching for a plate and plucking one from the rack. I slam the rim of the mug against the plate until it slips out. I then scrape the remains onto the side and dig in. Mmm! Cake in a Mug: better than Cake in a Jar by a landslide!

The chocolate flavour explodes on my tongue, yet it's missing something. Icing! I dig around in the fridge for some and retrieve some buttercream. Fancy!

I spoon some on, letting it melt from the heat that radiates off of the small cake.

It's been a week since the little freakout with Pepper and the others. I'm not permitted to leave the premise without 'proper protection', meaning Cap at my side at all times. Either that, or I get an Iron Man escort which I refused. I already felt like an anti-social freak, I definitely didn't need Tony to make it worse. But at least I was out of the office! All of that paperwork made me realize just how stupid adult life could be. Also, it made me detest paper...

In other words, the plan that I thought would be foolproof turned out to be complete shit. I'm bored as hell, taking hundreds of tours around the tower. I know every secret to every room in the building - even the bathroom as a secret place in the bathroom in which - when you pull the shampoo towards you - a panel opens and you slide down to a saferoom beneath the tower. This happens in all of the rooms when you either pull a book or press a button. This place is full of secrets, and I already know them all.

Now, as I scarf down my mug cake, I explore the tower for the hundreth time, careful to steer clear of Tony's room. I wandered in there on Thursday and discovered Tony's stash of Japanese women magazines - that's all I'm willing to say about it. I vowed to myself not to tell Pepper, but it was just too damn funny. And knowing myself, it would slip out one day.

I skip down the stairs to Tony's workshop. Today is the day that I will try to fly an Iron Man suit. Of course, not indoors - outside. I need to get out, breathe in the fresh air and in order to do that, I need to be Tony. If I get into trouble with the Avengers, let it happen. I need to leave before I go insane!

I trot over to Rescue, a suit specifically designed for Pepper. I like how it isn't technically a Mark like the others. It's it's own suit.

I touch it and it opens, inviting me in. I step inside and it latches on around me body, locking me in. This is one of the rare times that I'm thankful for my lack of claustrophobia.

The system starts up inside, lighting up the dark space. It'ss amazing. I have a full view of the workshop, my heart levels, brain waves, everything! I guess I understand why Tony loves these suits so much.

I start to move my feet. It feels almost weightless as I move, yet as my feet strike the marble floors, it sounds a huge clunk throughout the entire tower.

I watch as the ceiling opens up above me, the suit preparing for flight. As I watch the sky shine through, I think to myself how a bird might feel in these moments. Free, doubtless, as if they were flying away from their problems. That's what I'm about to do.

The rockets on my feet ignite and I take off. It startles me at first, how complicated it is. I stumble in the air, plummeting to earth and screaming as I prepare for impact, but a gust of wind blows my feet back under me and I rocket into the clouds. I laugh giddily; this is the best feeling in the world!

High up, I spy the Dunkin Donuts sign. I fly toward it, aiming for the hole in the centre. As I fly through it, I make a mental note. Note to self: cross off 'flying through Dunkin Donuts hole' off of bucket list.

That's about the time where I bump into a huge ransom Mech-like monster rampaging through town.

"Well, shit." I mutter but I know that I can't just stand by and watch the chaos unfold. Although, the Avengers would be alerted and attack at some point if I just leave it alone! No. I need to prove myself to the others, like Tony had said that first day I had arrived at Stark Towers, this is the perfect time!

I descend to the ground, blocking the Mech's path. "'Sup Godzilla? You're far away from home aren't you buddy," I coo. "Japan is that way." I point in a random direction.

It stares at me, cocking it's head and roaring. I try to cover my ears, but it does no use. Feeling like my eardrums are about to shatter, I stagger back. "Dude, you are in desperate need of a breath mint." I spot a woman pop a Tic-Tac in her mouth. I fly over to her and snatch one from the box, returning my attention to the monster. I toss the mint over, the mint bouncing harmlessly off of it's chest.

"No? That's okay. We'll just settle this like civilized people okay?" I offer. The monster roars, opening it's mouth and shooting a blazing laser at me. It hits me square in the chest, knocking me back a few feet. I slam into the pavement, skidding yet rolling to my feet.

"Alright, big guy. This is around the time where it gets personal." I spit and charge at the large beast.