Chapter Sixteen

Loki's POV

Becca's body drops from my arms. She's shivering vigorously, her skin turning a pale blue-grey colour. I start to panic - of course this would happen. The moment I tell the one girl I actually care about, she begins to freeze to death...

I scramble to my feet, pressing her closer to the fire, as if it can do anything other than burn her. When that doesn't work, I decide that it is time to leave and find refuge. I can't stand to see the pain in her blue eyes, the blue eyes that have stunned me for what seems like millennia. I hate it.

Love is such a strong feeling - much too intense for my liking. But I can't help it. She won't leave me alone! The minute I close my eyes, her cocky smirk burns into the back of my eyelids. I dream about her, I think about her, I want her.

I want her to live. I want that so badly that I would kill for it! I would kill myself if it meant that she'd live through this...

I stare at her, her eyes on mine but not seeing me. I would imagine that she's swimming in darkness, knowing only cold. She begins to retch, curling into a ball which makes it easier to hold her shuddering body. So I pick her up, cuddling her close to my chest and ripping my cape from my back, I wrap her in it. She relaxes slightly, nuzzling into me and I sigh, smiling at her. She's so beautiful and she doesn't even know it. Long blonde hair, long lashes that flutter when she sleeps, pale pink lips that always pout - as if she's always begging for something. Of course, now she is. She's always begging for her life.

All because of me.

***

She's getting worse.

Her body is now crusted with ice. She clings to me, my cloth shirt bunched in her blue fingers as I walk farther and farther out. At least she has stopped shivering. She now lays limp in my arms, the only thing keeping her alive - a preservation spell I cast on her.

I've been walking around for what seems like hours, my legs turning to rubber. Snow, snow and more f**king snow! Of course, she doesn't know that because she's been dying for what seems like decades. Slow, painful decades and I can't take it anymore!

Finally, I decide on the inevitable choice. I know that she's going to die without their help and I refuse to let that happen.

I have to go to Asgard.

***

Becca's POV

I'm floating.

Or maybe flying? I'm not all that sure...

The one thing that I am sure of, is that I'm not in Jotunheim with Loki in that cave anymore. It's surprisingly warm here - again, wherever 'here' is. I can feel my body unravel, relaxing and thawing and with every move of my limbs, I become more aware of my surroundings.

Suddenly, the universe falls away, taking me with it. I'm now swimming in water. I break the surface of the water and gasp for air. I am in a fountain.

I look around and spot a familiar looking little girl walk past, blonde ringlets bouncing up and down s she goes about her day. I try to grab her but my hand goes through her. Startled, I yank my hand back. Funny, I can touch my own skin but no one else's?

Watching the girl, she starts to talk with an older man who's sat down on a park bench. I know that man. I've known that man for years.

"Your soul is so quiet, yet so loud. What troubles you young one?" The man says.

"No one pays attention to me. It's like I'm Casper the friendly ghost except with no friends." The little girls shuffles her feet, clearly uncomfortable.