Chapter 11:Stuck With One Another

Annabeth went off to find Nico after my pestering,leaving Percy and I alone again in the finally quiet Demeter cabin.

  The silence that hovered between us soon became really agonising,so I decided to speak first.

  "So--"Percy and I started at the same time,and stopped to let the other talk first.

  "You say first,"Percy said.

  "No,you say first,"I insisted,feeling a little embarrassed.

  "Er,"he started hesitantly."So why do you need Nico for?"

  I could feel my whole face reddening,and I bit my lip."For the quest,of course,"I said quietly,and hastily changed the subject."Did Annabeth agree to go with us?"I had asked her beforehand,but she hadn't say anything about it yet.

  "She told me she wanted to go,"Percy muttered,and the moment of slience began once again.

  I broke the slience."Mr. D didn't clearly elaborate on what the quest is about."

  "We'll have to visit the gods and gather information on the monster we'd encountered just now,"Percy said.

  "Oh.How's Chiron,by the way?"I asked,remembering that the weird monster had bitten him,causing him to become a little insane.

  "Fine,though he still tries to shoot people in the butt,"Percy said,and I giggled.The door opened without warning,startling the both of us.

  "Nico."Percy nodded at him,and he nodded back.Nico gazed at me as if to say,Let's talk alone.

  "Percy,do you mind..."My voice trailed off,but he got the message.The door slammed shut,and I managed to pull my eyes away from Nico.For some weird reason,I was feeling a bit nervous about the 'talking alone' thing.

  I swallowed the lump in my throat as awkward slience began to fill the cabin.The tension broke when my stomach suddenly rumbled loudly.Before I knew it,Nico had an energy bar out of his pocket.He threw it over,and I caught it clumsily.

  "It's squashed,"I said,glancing up from the energy bar.

  "It was unintentional,"Nico said."I jumped down from the tree and landed on my butt."

  If it weren't for the obvious sarcasm in his voice,I would have believe him.I giggled and tore open the wrapper.

  "Do you want to join the quest?"I blurted,my mouth full.

  "Don't eat with your mouth full,"Nico said mockingly."What's the quest about anyway?"

  I repeated everything Mr. D and Percy had said to me,and Nico shook his head."Not only Chiron was attacked,"he mumbled."The ghosts in the Underworld are also attacked."

  "Oh really?Well,I guess that's--What?"I choked out.

  "What?"Nico asked,one of his eyebrows raised.

  "The ghosts are attacked?"I repeated stupidly as I sat down on my bed.The wood squeaked and groaned in protest loudly."How do you know about this?I mean,yeah,you are the son of Hades,but..."

  "I am the son of Hades,"Nico said as if it explained all.I shuddered at the sudden drop of temperature in the room.

  "Do you know who attacked them?"I changed the subject,and then the room wasn't so cold anymore.

  "I don't know,"Nico admitted."Every ghost said it was something which they could not see."

  Interesting."So...are you going to hunt for the culprit?"I asked,pretending to be casual.When Nico nodded slowly,I asked hopefully,"Does this mean you will be going with m-us?"

  Nico looked as if he wanted to say no,but he must had seen the hopeful expression plastered on my face,because he sighed and nodded in resignation.I grinned happily at his gloomy response,and jumped up from the bed."That settles it!Percy!"

  I pulled the door open,and yelped in fright when roses fell onto my head,their sharp thorns poking me.I felt a slight pain at my arm as Percy stepped over the roses,cautious not to step on their menacing thorns."Your arm's bleeding,"he said,gesturing me to sit down so that he could attend to my wound.

  I sat down on my bed obediently,and the bed squeaked and groaned again.There was a sudden loud crack,and before I could react,I felt the whole bed giving way.My leg throbbed as I fell backwards.(Oh,and by the way,I am not fat.Or overweight.)

  Percy and Nico grabbed my wrists before the back of my head hit the wall.I stared at them first,and then my wrists.Both of them were staring at me too,looking astonished.

  "Let her go,"Nico growled,glaring at Percy.

  "You let her go,"Percy snarled.

  "Er,why not the both of you let me go?"I said,and my wrists were released from their handcuffs.My head hit the wall with a loud thud,and I winced in pain."At least be gentle about it,"I mumbled,but they were too busy glaring at each other."Hey,cut it out,"I said,laughing hoarsely.Man,I hate fights.

  Percy and Nico didn't even blink,and I was about to pull one of them away before one starts pulling the punches when there was a loud explosion outside.