Chapter 18:Romance with the City Lights

Percy,Annabeth,Grover and Nico sat around me as they listened to me.

In ten minutes I had told them everything--from my dreams to what Madame White said to me.They were really good listeners(well,maybe except for Grover,who was chewing on his can noisily).

We had decided to end the day by signing in to a hotel.Annabeth and I would be in the same room while the three boys would be sleeping in another room.The manager was against the idea of three people in one room,but Nico told him that he would be sent into the Underworld if he didn't agree to it.The manager decided to close an eye about it.

Annabeth and I didn't talk much,and she left the room to find Percy.A minute later,Nico came into the room.

"Why are you here?"I asked,surprised.I had been staring through the windows at the city lights,thinking about nothing in particular.

"I want to be alone."Nico sat on my bed.I shrugged and got up.He stared up at me before bursting into laughter."What I mean is,"he rephrased,"I want to be alone with you."

Five whole minutes were spent on staring into Nico's chocolate eyes.Nico finally rolled his eyes and made me sit down on the bed.Heat was rising up from my neck to cheeks.

Turning back to the windows and gazing at the lights,I concentrated on calming my poor thumping heart.It was hammering against my chest,increasing my pulse rapidly as Nico watched me watch the city lights flicker.

I waited until I could trust myself to speak without flamed cheeks."What do you mean?"I turned my head 90 degrees to face Nico,and my wish was granted too much.Our noses bumped into each other,leaving only an inch before our lips met.

My heart pounded against my ribcage,and I couldn't breathe--all I had in mind was meeting his lips,maybe tasting the sugar of desire at the tip of my tongue,or maybe electric currents running through my body whenever our lips moved.

My vision blurred;my head spun.The whole world suddenly went black,and discreetly I could hear Nico's anxious voice calling out my name.I opened my mouth to answer him,but instead inhaled sharply.When my vision cleared I was staring up at Nico's concerned face.

"What happened?"I asked groggily as Nico helped me up from the bed.His warm touch made me shudder,but he didn't seem to notice it.He just shrugged,watching me shake myself.

"You fainted,"he replied and my cheeks burnt.I watched him as he ran his fingers through his hair,suddenly looking vulnerable.I had to bite down on my lip to keep myself from swooning again.

"Zeus,Foínix,"Nico said,closing his eyes,wincing as if he was in pain."Don't you ever scare me like that."

I turned away from him,knowing that my face was on fire."You won't die from it,"I muttered,trying to hide my blushing.Nico's cool but hot breath was suddenly at my cheek,sending great tremors to my heart.Goosebumps formed on my arms and legs,sending another shudder to my heart and soul.

"Who said so?"He whispered as his breath brushed against my skin.I shivered as the voice in my mind smiled.

Grab the chance,Foínix,and I guarantee you that you'll never regret it.

I bit my bottom lip gently and turned slowly.Nico gazed into my eyes,and we edged closer,aching for at least a second of passion.