Chapter 20:My Good Friend has managed to find me(somehow) Again

Thanks to Annabeth's confession about liking Percy,I had some difficulty falling asleep.The next day,Mother Annabeth had to drag me out of the bed literally.

  "Wake up,"she said,clenching her teeth as she tore me away from my lovely soft pillow.I groaned in frustration,kicking my blanket off the bed.I was so exhausted that Mother Annabeth had to help me get dressed.

  "Before Madame White comes,"she warned,and I immediately cleared the tired cloud around my head.

  We met the boys in the lobby,giggling about boys.We quickly set out so that Madame White would have a lesser chance to find us.However,when we stepped out of the hotel,I bumped into someone familiar.

  I groaned when I glanced up to see my best friend,Madame White."Annabeth,I should have wake up even earlier,"I said to her,and we ran.

  When I turned back to see if Madame White was catching up or not,I noticed the scarf around her neck moved like a snake.It extended like Elastigirl in The Incredibles,and Percy pulled me just before it wrapped me into a cold embrace.

  "Run!"Grover exclaimed the obvious,and we ran.We ran our own separate ways--Percy with me,heading towards the Empire State Building,Annabeth and Nico with Grover,who were running towards a fruit stall.

  My knees buckled and I stumbled,but Percy hurriedly pulled me to my feet.A loud hiss behind tempted me to turn,but Percy made me face him instead.

  "Don't look;it'll slow us down,"he said,before grabbing my hand and pulling me towards an alley.

  "Why can't we fight her?"I panted heavily as the crowd started screaming and running around.

  "Our first priority is to reach the gods,"Percy said between gasps of breath as we met a junction.Suddenly,the odour of rotten eggs and other stuff I did not wish to know met my nostrils.Percy pointed at a big garage bin."Let's hide in there!"He opened the bin and pushed me into it.He then junmped in and shut the cover quietly.

  I covered my mouth so that Madame White wouldn't hear my heavy breathing.My eyes watered as I reluctantly took in the smell of decomposed food.Something bumped into the bin outside,and I muffled my squeal.Percy's hand found mine,and he squeezed my hand gently as if to say,It'll be alright.

  The bin vibrated again,this time even more violently.I huddled close to Percy,wondering when the bin cover would open.My heart beat seemed to be echoing off the walls of the garage bin.For more comfort I summoned my staff,letting its crystal cube glow dimly in the dark.

  Percy's grip tightened."Don't use your blood yet,"he whispered,and something slammed into the bin,probably leaving a large dent.We cowered,and he continued."I have a plan."

  Suddenly we felt as if the bin was lifted up in the sky.I bumped into the wall and winced in pain.

  "Come out,come out,wherever you are,"Madame White's muffled voice sang out,and the bin began to vibrate violently,causing us to separate.

  "Percy,make me bleed,"I said out loud,clenching my teeth for fear that I would bite off my tongue.I couldn't hear what Percy had replied,but he pulled me towards him.Something brushed against my lips--something soft--and I realised with a jolt that it was Percy's lips.

  His lips kept mine so busy that I'd almost forgot that we were in a garage bin,our lives in the hands(or mouth) of a snake demon.All I had in my mind was,So warm and sweet--it makes you want more.

  After a minute or so,there was a sudden sharp pain on my bottom lip,and I tasted something metallic.

  "I'll get out of the bin first,"Percy panted,and I wondered for a moment if it was because of the kiss or the way the bin was bumping around."Follow me after,say,five seconds."

  My hand squeezed his,and I muttered,"Be careful."I could almost hear Percy's lips twitching into a smile.He patted my hand gently and I slowly loosened my grip on him.

  Sunlight burst into the bin,and my lungs greedily took in the fresh air.Impatiently,I blinked to allow my eyes to adjust to the bright light.Percy was already gone by the time I gave my eyes a last rub.

  I hopped out of the garage bin clumsily to stare right into Madame White's big black orbs.She cocked her head and licked my cheek with her forked tongue.Then she opened her mouth wide,intenting to swallow me whole.

  Percy's sword reflected the bright light,and Madame White turned away to shield her eyes(Snakes can't blink--such a sad thing).He tried to cut her head off,but she managed to read his move and bit onto the sword.

  Percy and Madame White were playing a tug-a-war game while I bit down onto my wounded lip hard.The cut reopened,and I gathered all the blood in my mouth before splitting on the staff.

  Thanks for the blood,not the saliva,the staff whispered by my ear,though it was an arm away.

  "Something that will kill Madame White,"I whispered.The crystal cube at the tip of the staff glowed purple and an image,like a circular disk,appeared out of thin air.Madame White took a glimpse of it and started screaming.She dropped the bin from her tail,and I fell along with it.I managed to cast a spell so that I would not be crashed into pieces by the bin.

  I watched,floating in the air,as Madame White shifted back into human form and tried to escape,but it was too late.The disk seemed to be draining her soul,because when she finally collapsed,her face was frozen in pure terror.

  The image vanished,and Madame White dissolved into dust,but the memory of her terrified face stayed in my mind.I glanced at Percy,who shuddered.

  "Let's go,"he said,pulling my hand as my staff vanished.I allowed him to drag me away before I collapsed into the darkness.