thirty - four ; wrinkles and saggy breasts

August 18th

As I emerged into reality from a deep sleep, I rubbed at my eyes and stretched to wake myself further.

I sat up in my bed, gazing around the room and taking it in, unsure of why. Flipping open the blankets and stepping onto the cold hardwood floor, I made my way over to the bathroom to prepare myself for the day.

A brief shower and morning routine wakened my mind, and as I dried myself off with a towel, I realized today was the day of Astoria's birthday.

I was truly excited, and counted the days down. My father, however, he had been very anxious about the whole event since our invitation. I don't blame him considering we had never been included in anything concerning those people.

By those people, I meant the families that intimidated all the others.

I caressed the edge of my antique mirror which was placed on my desk.

The reflection showed a young girl with hair longer than she should've kept it, blacker than night. Her skin was flushed due to the lack of sunlight, even though it was the season to get golden. She resembled her mother down to her legs, long and shapely.

It bothered her, however. Seeing her mother, whom was dead, every time she stumbled across a reflection. Although she found her mother gorgeous, and considered herself lucky to adorn her beauty, it was just another reminder how she allowed her hero to walk out the door that dreadful day.

I shook my head, continuing on with my routine.

Nothing should bother me today.

***

"Alana!"

My father's coarse voice woke me from a power nap I hadn't realized I'd taken. I rose from the couch and faced him against the frame of the kitchen entrance.

"Yes, father?"

He almost rolled his eyes, "It's almost time for the dinner, you should be getting ready by now."

Peering up at the clock above our fireplace, I realized that I had an hour before we had to depart.

I murmured a cursing to myself before sprinting up the stairs, bursting my bedroom door open.

"Okay, get your shit together." I told myself as if it could help.

I entered my closet, filing through the clothes for my dress that I had chosen for today. It wasn't hard to find, seeing as it stuck out in a closet of black.

It was truly beautiful, I wish I could wear it everyday.

I laid it across my bed as I got to work on my face. I didn't want much on it, just to enhance my features with the pop of a bold lip.

 I didn't want much on it, just to enhance my features with the pop of a bold lip