thirty - two ; greengrass invitation

Sixth year. It was coming so quickly.

I drag my trunk along the pavement as I make my way to the door. I was currently back at home, and my dad was locking the car behind me. Letting go of the trunk to rest my arm, I wait for him to come over. He gives me a smile as he turns away from the car and back to me, rushing over to the place I stood. "Father, it's awfully hot. Are you sure you want to keep wearing that?" I point out to his long sweater.

"It's alright dear," he grabs a key out of his pocket before turning the lock, and pushing out the door; revealing my home. "Welcome back."

I quickly grabbed hold of my trunk against whilst I rushed inside, taking in the living room and the view of the kitchen from where I stood. White couches with simple black detailed pillows were thrown on, and there was a new pot of colourful flowers in the centre on a coffee table. Our walls were decorated with modern paintings and a few family photos... Most of them were of mum. I slowly detached my hand from my luggage as I walked over to a picture of her with all her clothes on and her wand in her hand, with all the other Aurors around. They looked so happy as they moved around; smiling.

"I heard about what happened." My father starts, snapping me out of my thoughts. I gave him a questioning look as he sat down. "At the ministry..."

I suddenly stiffen. Of course he would know, how come I didn't think of this before? I couldn't find anything to say, because there wasn't anything I could find to speak of. Should I apologize?

"I was there, when they escorted Potter and your headmaster." He almost spat at the names. Though, I wasn't going to question him about it. He looked up at me, his hands folded. "Well, are you going to say anything?" He said in a harsh tone.

I flinched back, surprised at how he said it. He's never been so bitter. Not even if I broke his glasses or accidentally spilled something on his uniform. "I'm sorry...?" I said quietly. Although it sounded more of a question.

"Why are you sorry?" He asked louder while he stood up.

"U-um, well I-I just thought th-that-"

"Nevermind." He cut me off with a wave of his hand. He shot me one last look as he went upstairs, leaving me paralyzed at the scene that recently occurred.

"Great welcoming committee this year." I mumble, taking my trunk upstairs to my bedroom. As soon as I enter, a black shadow zips at my window. I suddenly whip out my wand, not wanting to scream because it would cause trouble with my dad. The shadows suddenly disappears as it drops an envelope on the window seat. I rush over, my wand still in hand as I picked it up. It was probably just an owl, I thought.

The envelope was a forest green, with a shining gold seal with a curvy G. I opened it up and it flew up in front of my face. It opened slowly, creating a mouth-like shape before speaking. "Ms. Blanchard, you have been invited for dinner at the Greengrass' manor on August 18th to celebrate Astoria's birthday, along with the Malfoy, the Zabini, and the Parkinson family at 5-"

I scratched my head in confusion. Why would they want me there?

"-fancy attire is recommended. You are allowed to bring an extra member with this extra invitation..." It widens its 'mouth', letting two golden tickets fall to the ground.

I slowly pick it up, looking at them and the flying envelope. "Thank you." It gives a final bow before ripping itself into hundreds of pieces, disintegrating as it makes contact with the floor. "Father!" I call him from my room. In a short time, he walks in my room.

"Yes Alana?" He asks walking in.

I fiddle with the tickets a bit, flapping them with my fingers before holding them up. "We've been invited by the Greengrass family," I start. I walk over to him and hand him one invitation. "For dinner on Astoria's birthday."

His eyes brighten up at the mention and he looks closer at the ticket. "We're going."

***

Sorry for the short update again!

Anyways, I know this may sound annoying but I omfg I have 2k reads!! what?!! That's crazy! As much as I'm insanely happy, my story hasn't been getting a lot of votes... I know I sound under appreciative but I really am grateful for the amount of votes right now... But if you haven't voted for my previous chapters I would be way happier if you went and voted :) hopefully I didn't sound too vote-thirsty xd