16.

**Embry's Pov.**

When we arrived at the hospital, all I felt was heartache and more panic.
Pete and Zeke were sitting in the waiting room, with Brett's family and some of our classmates.
I guess Brett was more popular than I let on about.
I walked through the automatic doors and Pete looked at me almost immediately.
I frowned deeply when he walked up to me, his brows furrowed as his eyes glistened.
I looked away for a moment.
"What happened?" I asked him.
"It was those bastards." Ady Benson hissed bitterly, her small body trembling with either fear or rage.
Maybe it was both.
I looked to Pete and Zeke.
"Trip and those guys.. They targeted Brett?!" I snarled now.
Pete frowned deeply at me.
"They came out of nowhere, bats and I don't know what else.. Brett and his dumb self tried to fight them, one against four. How fucking hilarious is that?" Tears slipped past Pete's eyes as he glared hard at the white marbled floor.
I don't even remember when I began to cry, but when I did I felt Pete's arms wrapping around me.

"He's going to fight this, and when he come's out of this. We're going to kick their asses, for Brett's sake." Pete hissed harshly.
I nodded, not letting the other go as I frowned deeply into his shoulder.

"Mr. And Mrs Ayers?" The doctor called out as he walked out of a office, his eyes glued to the clipboard then to the couple.
Brett's mom was above average for her age, she had messy dark brown curls and tired brown eyes while her husband stood there with a hard expression. His gray eyes dark as his black hair remained messy but slicked back, his eyes on the doctor as soon as the man walked out.

"Our son.. how is he?" Brett's mom asked, her voice cracking as fresh tears escaped her round cheeks.
The doctor made a grieving expression.
"There is no other way to say this, Brett is in a critical state right now. There was a heavy blow to his skull, and we believe his brain is bleeding. Along with that, his ribs are cracked and are puncturing his lungs." The doctor explained to them.
Brett's mom let out a loud howl of a sob, falling to her knees as her entire body trembled.
"My baby, my poor baby. Please, is there anything you can do? Please! I can't lose my only son, he's only eighteen. He has so much going for him." She cried harder as Ady ran over to her, comforting her as Brett's dad soon joined in.

The doctor removed his glasses.
"We are trying everything we know how to, we will keep you updated. But for now, it would be best to keep an heads up.. I am terribly sorry, Mr and Mrs.Ayers." The doctor said before escaping out of the waiting room.

The only sounds we heard were the sounds of Brett's mom crying on and off.
My entire body was aching as I sat between Pete and Ace.
Ace had remained silent the entire time we had been here, like he had no right in the say.
I knew he was angry.
I was furious.
I wanted to slam Trip's head in a car door over and over until he was no longer moving.
I wanted him dead.
I hated him more than words could express.

I jumped feeling Ace's hand slid over onto my leg, giving me a gentle squeeze for reassurance.
I glanced to my boyfriend who was already looking to me.
"He'll make it out of this." He told me, he sounded so sure.
But how can anyone survive if their brain is bleeding?
Fear struck me as did more tears.
I didn't want to lose Brett.
He was one of my best friends.
I looked to Pete now, who's eyes were still red.

"I need a smoke." Zeke finally spoke up, he bumped shoulders with Pete who acknowledged him with a nod.
I watched the two walk out of the waiting room, as the rest of us sat in silence.
I looked to Brett's mom who motioned me to come over to her and her husband.
"I'll be right back." I told Ace, escaping from his hand then walked over to the parents.
I took a seat right besides Mrs.Ayers with a sadder expression now.
"I'm so sorry that thi-"
"Stop sweet heart." She cut me off as her eyes regained more tears.
"Let's just chat, okay? I don't want to think about anything until the last news comes to us. How are you baby? It's been a while since we've seen you." She told me in a soft tone.
It made me feel even worse now.
"I-I'm alright.. thank you for asking.. I've been focused on other things and complications." I told her in the best way possible without mentioning the clans or her son.

Mrs.Ayers smiled sadly.
"You're my sons best friend he's always talking about you. I understand you had to leave school for a bit, but he's always telling us where you've been." Tears fell from her eyes as she looked at me.
"I'm not going to blame you for this, just like I'm not going to blame that man over there with you.." her expression softened.
"I'm just trying to understand everything, and why boys your age would go as far as to nearly kill someone.. what are they gaining? Its terrible." She frowned, sniffling back the tears that tried to fall.
I just sat there with a frown, just nodding to what she said and how hurt she was sounding.
I didn't want to say anything, that may come out wrong.

My attention fell on Pete and Zeke that walked back into the waiting room, Pete's eyes on me as I frowned softly.
"Excuse me, ma'am." I said leaving her side as she gave my hand one last squeeze.
I walked over to Pete who glanced to Ace.
"Lets talk outside." He told me.
I looked to Ace who took out a magazine and began to read it.
What a old person.

I stepped outside as the air bit at my skin.
"He's not going to survive this." Pete said as he leaned again the railing by the pole.
My stomach dropped as Pete removed a cigarette from its container, he looked to me before lighting it.
"Why would you say that?" I demanded.
Pete inhaled the cigarette before letting out a big puff.
He frowned looking at me.
"Its common sense Em, his brain is bleeding. Hardly anyone survives a hemorrhage, and if they do they don't act right." He told me, looking up at the stars as I glared at him.
"Our friend is fighting for his life and you immediately want to look at the negative side." I spat.
Pete turned to me, glaring.
"I'm facing facts Embry! Brett got the shit beat out of him, he got his ribs cracked and his fucking brain is damaged, because of those mother fuckers who want to fight with weapons and hide behind a guy who thinks he's some big bad mother fucker! Brett is going to die tonight Embry, because Trip is still out there alive and taking pleasure in what he's done! Who gives two fucks he killed a guy? Our best friend? Our childhood best friend! He's doing it, to get to you! He's going to kill me next, just you fucking wat-"

The cigarette flew out of Pete's mouth as my fist connected to his cheek, tears streaming down my cheeks as I began to breathe heavily.
I glared harshly at the other.