Chapter 3

Chapter 3

🌹🌹🌹

Besides my front bar in the nightclub, our residence was my favourite spot in this entire building. I've been living here with the girls for the past three years, and this became my home. We all had our separate rooms to go off into and relax after a long day or night of work. My room was a little smaller than the others, but it still got the job done. A large queen bed sat in front of large windows that peered out into the heart of Incheon. The bright glow of the surrounding buildings lit up my room, there wasn't any need to turn on the overhead glass chandelier. As I was pulling on my clothes from my semi walk-in closet, I sat on the lounge chairs resting around a small, white ottoman, which was situated by the windows. Putting on a hoodie to cover my mission gear, I looked towards my little corgi, Chopa, who was laying on a large let bed.

Chopa was watching me with puppy eyes, worrying about me dearly. She had been my best friend for three years now, I found her shortly after I was taken in by the girls. She was wandering around the alley by the nightclub, but I don't know how long she's been there. When I first approached her, she actually growled at me. I couldn't blame her for her behaviour, she was scared and probably hasn't had proper human contact before. Deep down, I knew I couldn't leave her there, but she was too terrified to come close to me. The best I could do at that time was to leave food and water for her out in the alley. I did that three times a day, and every time I came out to check if she was out there, Chopa was there, waiting for her next meal.

One day, I took a big chance, and opened the door for her, allowing her to come inside. She was hesitant at first, approaching me and the doorway leading to the nightclub. It brought me happiness when she waddled up to me as I crouched down to meet her, and licked my palm. Chopa followed me inside into the warm nightclub, but she was still cautious in her new surroundings. She seemed to like the welcoming atmosphere, laying her head on the ground, and dragging her dirty fur along the floor. Prince, Sweet's wiener dog, was the first one to greet her, you know, causal backside sniffing. Chopa appeared to be comfortable with Prince, as well as me.

When I first gave her a bath a couple hours later, she snuggled up against my hands as I shampooed her muddy coat. A wave of relief washed over at that moment, finally earning Chopa's trust. After finishing up her bath, I let her sleep on my bed, and it was really adorable when she cuddled with me under the covers. Ever since then, she's always been with me. I'm her legal owner after I took her to a vet to check on her health, surprisingly, she was doing well. She was a stray without a home, but I adopted her in a heartbeat.

I hunched over while sitting down, motioning to her to come over to me. Her head perked up with her ears straight in the air. Chopa's tongue hung loosely from her muzzle as she panted.
"Chopa~" I cooed. "Here girl!"
She jumped up to her paws before sprinting towards me. Her nails skidded across the brown wooden floor. She hopped up into my lap, snuggling her face into my black and red hoodie. I ran my hands along her tan and white fur, feeling the soft coat between my fingers.
"Are you ready for a road trip Chopa?" I asked smoothly.
Chopa jumped up, resting her hind legs on my thighs and her front paws on my chest as she reached upwards and licked my chin. Smiling fondly, I scratched behind her ear while making baby faces at her. Chopa was going to come with me on the mission, however, she was going to stay in an apartment we owned in Seoul. After I finished my mission, I was to stay there for the night as to not create any suspicion within the nightclub. It would be weird for a worker to return to their workplace after being excused, only to head upstairs to go home. Something like that would just be weird.

Carrying Chopa much like a small baby, I walked out into our living space. Erika was lurking over MaeLin's shoulder as she was tweaking Cardinal, our personal guidance program, on her laptop. While we do use Cardinal on a daily basis for contract work, we rarely ever used "Robot Cardinal." Robot Cardinal was like Cortana on Windows 10 or Siri on one's iPhone, but much smarter. Cardinal was like GPS, but it was so much more; it was able to link up to our commtacts, special contact lenses that acted like a video game player's screen. The system was able to monitor out vital signs, give us our location on a map, as well as deliver any vehicle information if we were using one at the time. It was advanced, to say the least, far beyond any guidance programs of other gangs or mafias even. It was perfected by MaeLin when she was nineteen, however, she insists on making improvements when she gets the chance.

Erika was the first one to notice me the moment I arrived in the living room. She turned her body to face me, a tired smile faintly on her lips. I noticed the bags under her eyes, faint purple lines forming a crescent under her chocolate brown eyes. Erika has been working hard to crack down on this case, as well as MaeLin. The nightclub was left in her hands after we lost our past leader, and she couldn't bear with the thought of losing it to a corrupt drug lord. It was our home and there was no way we would hand it over to someone like Song Carmine. Our own nightclub aside, we needed to help out that family, for their sake and Meredith's sake. Erika was quick to accept this request from Meredith, so here we are.

"Ready to go dongsaeng?" she asked, where I nodded.
I set down Chopa momentarily to mingle with Prince before we left. Their movements mirrored each other as they pawed each other.
"Here are your commtacts, as well as your earpiece," Erika continued, placing the palm-sized case in my hand. "I'm sure you understand that MaeLin needs to rest, so Cardinal will guide you through the mission."
Looking over to MaeLin, she was already out against her desk. A light snoring came from her as she snuggled into her baggy sweater sleeves. If you were to try and wake her up, she wouldn't move at all. The only things that could wake her up are Prince and Chopa jumping up and down on her bed. Erika Unnie sighed, amazed with how she could fall asleep anywhere.
"Don't worry about her, I'll get Caleb to carry her to bed when he comes up here," she shrugged.
Erika palmed the top of my head, patting it softly.
"Stay safe," she reminded me.

"I don't want you to get caught by a mafia."