Chapter 31

Sae-Young's POV
My body felt so exhausted as I continued to push myself through the fight in front for me. Every single muscle, every tendon, every ligament was screaming at me to stop my momentum and to take a much-needed break. However, my mind protested- there was so much at stake, I couldn't afford to lose here. If I failed to stop Wraith, there would be no doubt that he would go after my sisters, Taehyung, my brother and the others. This murderous man shows no mercy, I would know- he's the one who drowned me into a coma. I need to stop him, not just for myself, but also the others.

Standing in a defensive position, I held my knife up to block any incoming attacks. I had no one watching my back- a large group of guard ambushed us, and everyone else had to handle them, and protect MaeLin. I felt so stupid for falling for Wraith's bait- he lured me into a secluded area just so that he could kill me with his own hands. There was no way in hell was I going to let that happen, I still had so much left to do.

Wraith charged at me with a knife that he managed to pull out from his jacket. I slowed my rapid breathing down so that I could react in time; the ear-piercing sound of metal scraping against metal forced me to wince. Steadying my stance, I pushed Wraith back and tried to thrust my blade towards his jugular. However, a curse soon followed as he jumped out of the way, and took a swipe at my jacket sleeve. Right now, this felt like a bloody game of catch- every time I swung towards Wraith, he returned the action, catching the fabric of my clothes. I hated to admit it, but he's gotten stronger. I won't let that discourage me though, I've grown too, and I will not fall short.

I sprinted towards him with all my might and attempting to tackle him to the ground to land a shot at his neck. I forced my shoulder into his gut and wrapping my arms around his waist to push him back. Unfortunately, he managed to regain his footing, stopping me in the middle of my momentum. He grabbed me and pushed me off of him before delivering a brutal kick to my chest. My body flew backwards and hit the floor and a painful, breathless gasp was ripped out of my throat. The knife that was once in my grasp flew out of my hand, leaving me with my last one, strapped to my other thigh.

I barely had enough time to recover as Wraith jumped towards me with the knife pointed at my chest. Rolling out of the way, the sound of the metal tip lodging into the ground. However, I took the opportunity to kick Wraith's knife out of his grip, sending it flying across the room. I earned an annoyed tsk, causing me to smirk in satisfaction. Unfortunately, the smirk was wiped off of my face- jumping up to my feet, I attempted to draw my other knife. Before I could grab it, Wraith body checked me as revenge for early and even threw an elbow to the side of my head.

Wincing in pain, I cradled my ear with my hand. A light ringing echoed through my auditory canal, but I still heard Wraith's voice.
“I won't let you draw it,” he scowled, adjusting his gloves. “The moment you do, I'll hit you.”
Wraith grabbed my jacket collar and began to drive his knee into my gut. With each flow, the more I wanted to throw up the gastric acid in my empty stomach. Gritting my teeth, I managed to throw a punch to the man's nose, stopping the assault with his knee. Wraith quickly retaliated, he smacked me across the cheek, but I performed a roundhouse kick to his head. Unfortunately, he barely budged.

“Fucking monster…” I huffed as I stood up.

I was finally able to catch a moment to catch my breath. My lungs were burning with an empty feeling- even letting oxygen into my airway was painful. All of the soft tissue in my body was aching and eating away at my energy, it was screaming at me to just stop. I shook those thoughts out of my head- it wasn't the time for that. Wraith wasn't about to give up either- he was quick to engage me in hand to hand combat, I had no choice but to “cater” to his needs.

With each and every punch to my body and face, as well as each kick I evade, my movements were growing sluggish. It became more and more difficult to keep up with Wraith, he was dragging this fight out to drain my energy. Wraith gained the upper hand and clocked me right in the face. The cartilage in my nose crunched under the force, and blood began to rush down over my lips before soaking into my mask. Tears were stinging my eyes from the burning pain.

A sudden heavy force hit the upper portion of up back and knocked me down into the ground. I lost all feeling throughout my body, and I helplessly laid on the floor. Wraith laughed like a psychotic maniac, the horrid sound stabbing my ears.

“Finally,” he cackled, the metallic scrape of a knife against the ground. “I get to kill a princess and deliver your body to RM!”

I clenched my fists tightly, I'm not going to let that happen!

With a sharp surge of adrenaline pounding my veins, I shot up into a sitting position just before Wraith could breathe through my protecting plating with his knife. He was caught off guard as I slapped my hand together in front of his face. Wraith staggered backwards, dropping the knife that was once in his hand. Through the pain, I smirked as I saw a laceration in his tongue that was bleeding profusely. Stumbling to my feet, I drew the knife from my thigh and charged towards him.

Everything came to a standstill as my knife plunged into his vein covered neck. Blood exploded from the stab wound, spraying onto his clothes, my clothes and my face. His staggered breath came out gurgled, the blood pooling in his mouth blocking the escape of air from his lungs. Gritting my teeth, I twisted the knife, feeling the vertebrae of his neck crack and shatter against the blade. Without last glare into his eyes and pulling the knife, I kicked him onto the floor and fell back myself.

“You won't haunt me anymore,” I growled. “I'm going to be the one haunting your tainted soul.”

My body refused to move after that, it felt so empty of the will to even stand up. It was difficult to even remain sitting up. That was one of the hardest fights that I had ever experienced, and surely I would remember it as a moment of victory. I countries to breath out of my mouth, since my nose was, you know, broken. Reaching up, I pulled my mask down, feeling the sting of air against the broken cartilage in my nasal cavity. I really just wanted to lie down and go to sleep, my entire body felt broken and empty.

Within just seconds, I lost all my strength and felt my body fall backwards-
Until I hit a firm chest.
I could barely lift my head to look up at who caught me. Everything inside me hurt, just trying to make eye contact burned at my insides.

“Tae…” I whispered hoarsely.

He sighed softly, hugging me lightly from behind, careful to not agitate my wounds.

“The assault team was successful, Noona is done as well,” he quickly explained. “We're withdrawing.”
I nodded painfully, hissing at the pain in my legs as I tried to stand up.
Taehyung shifted around me and scooped me up into his arms. Almost immediately, his warmth reached me, and my body began to ease up.
“Let's get you out of here,” he cooed.
“Hold on,” I stopped him.

I whipped out my gun and aimed directly at Wraith's forehead. Without a speck of hesitation, I let a bullet fly into his head. Shoving it back into its holster, I felt Taehyung looking at me with wide eyes.

“Just to make sure he doesn't come back.”