Chapter 15

Chapter 15
🌹🌹🌹

I smiled softly as my fingertips pressed against the glass screensaver of my phone. At lightning speed, I typed up a reply and sent it off in a heartbeat. A whoosh sound flowed from my phone, kissing my ears as I already saw a bubble with the ellipses on the other side of my screen.

Blonde TaeTae:
She's so cute! What's her name?

Me:
Chopa

Blonde TaeTae:
Awww! I’m growing so soft for her!
I just wanna squish her face!

Me:
If we see each other, I'll let you :)
She loves humans, I'm sure she'll
adore you Tae.

Blonde TaeTae:
I’d love to meet her, Sae-Young!
She looks so sweet.

Just as I was about to type up a reply, he sent a message faster than I could finish my sentence.

Awwww, I have to go :(
Jin Hyung needs help with something…

Me:
Aww, okay Tae.
You go see what he needs.
Maybe we can talk later?

Blonde TaeTae:
Sure, I would love to.
Nighty Night! *smooch smooch*

Me:
Goodnight Tae!

Taehyung left me on read, but that was okay, we both said our goodbyes. Ever since that night where he gave me his number, we’ve just been texting each other. I know there was the whole issue with security and privacy between both parties, but both of our sides are protected by Cardinal. He makes sure our messages aren’t accessed by a third party. This pretty much means I can safely communicate with him without having to worry. Every night after my shift downstairs, I would spark up a conversation with him; today it was about Chopa’s butt floating during her bath. Taehyung loved it so much, I could hear him laughing.

I feel happy when I talk to him. I don’t know what it is, but it just feels right to. The way he talks through digital messaging feels like we’re talking face to face, person to person. We don’t get to see each other often, but this is a good way for us to keep in touch. Shutting my phone off, I laid it on my stomach where it felt warm from me keeping it on for a while. A wide smile tugged on my lips, a gap in my heart was slowly starting to fill up. Taehyung was becoming a part of my life, and I can’t deny that. I actually felt comfortable telling him my name.

A soft knock erupted on my door, causing me to shoot my head up and off my pillow. After replying with a simple yes, Eun-Lee popped her head through the door frame, giving me a soft smile. The last I saw her, she was in her deep red chef's jacket, but now she was just in a casual wool sweater and black shorts. Her brown hair was now freely down, hanging way past her shoulders.
“Hey Guuuurl,” she called, emphasizing the “ur” sound.
“Ugh!” I groaned with a cringing face. “Stooooooooooop!”
Unnie started to laugh, holding her stomach as she hunched over.
“Ah- okay, I’ll stop,” she sighed standing up straight.
I sat up straight, startling Chopa and Prince who were asleep on my bed. They looked at me with alert ears but drowsy eyes, wondering what was wrong with me. However seeing that nothing was wrong, they went back to sleep.
“What do you need Unnie?”
“Hyungsik Oppa is here,” she chimed. “He wants to sign a contract.”

With that, I slipped off my bed, trying to not disturb the two pups on my bed. Tucking my feet into a pair of cookie designed slippers, I quietly waddled towards the door. Eun-Lee retreated back into the hallway, allowing me to follow her after closing the door.

It’s been a few weeks since we’ve last seen our close friend Hyungsik. The last we conversed, we requested that he look into the results of what happened after we dealt with Sapphire Limited. Until now, he hasn’t found anything of worthwhile or anything too concerning. I hope he’s found something that works in our favour instead of against it. We never doubt his abilities because he’s always lived up to our expectations whenever we requested his help.

Heading down the black marble staircase, I wrapped my grey shawl tighter around me. The air in the nightclub was slightly cooler than our residence, causing a chill to run up my arms and back. A shivering breath quivered my lips as the view of the second-floor bar came into my vision. However, a spark of happiness lit me up as I saw the familiar man sitting comfortably at Erika’s bar. He took a sip of his drink before noticing me, but when he did, a small grin lit his face up.

Hyungsik stood up, meeting me halfway as I walked over to him. He engulfed me in a tight hug and lifted me up as he swung me around. I liked his hugs- they were so warm and wonderful, almost as if you were wrapped up in your favourite blanket. Hyungsik set me down and ruffled my hair playfully, smooth chuckles falling from his lips.

“Hey guuuuurl!” he exclaimed.
“Oh, not you too!” I whined.
Hyungsik hummed in approval towards Eun-Lee, earning some laughs from her.
“But all jokes aside ladies, we have some serious business to discuss."

The air around the glass coffee table grew tense as our gazes fell to the set of files sprawled across the surface. Once everyone had gathered on the second-floor bar, Hyungsik immediately went serious. The man’s demeanour changed in a matter of seconds as he tossed the manila tag folder onto the table. His eyebrows furrowed together and he crossed his arms over his chest. This man had two sides to him; both casual and businessman made up his entire being, but when that CEO like attitude comes through, he means serious business.

“Who might this be?” Erika asked, sliding the papers in her direction.
“This ladies is Song JaeSuk, the brother of Song Carmine, the same man you killed a short while ago,” he answered.
We all nodded, taking in the fact that he had a brother we were not aware of.
“This poses a problem,” MaeLin spoke up. “We could have sworn we picked up everything about our targets, how did this slip by?”

Hyungsik clenched his jaw in discontentment. He leaned his head off to the side, where a small pop followed afterwards. A heated sigh fell from his lips as he shook his head.

“That’s the thing- he had help with hiding off the grid. I'm still looking into who it is, but I don’t get a good feeling about who it might be. No one can escape Cardinal, yet he did so effortlessly. We’re dealing with something bigger than us.”

Hyungsik went into explaining what we were going to deal with if we chose to handle this. Song JaeSuk was the oldest brother of the Song family, with Carmine being the youngest. Apparently, JaeSuk's father had an affair with another woman after he divorced with his ex-wife. They had a child, that being Carmine, and then they got married. As you could imagine, he was pretty pissed off about it. In short, his parents adored Carmine over JaeSuk, babying the younger boy day and night, neglecting the oldest. They gave Carmine everything, including Sapphire Limited, despite it being JaeSuk's birthright.

JaeSuk vowed to take over the company once his brother was overthrown. You see, the problem is that we killed Song Carmine, that means the path for leadership is wide open. JaeSuk could literally walk in and sit in the big boss chair and everyone would obey him. With that power in the palm of his hand, he could turn the world into his own drug monopoly. His horrid face and reputation would stain all the innocent lives out there, and frankly, we can't have that.

If we can stop Carmine, we can stop JaeSuk.

“So what do we do?” I asked, leaning my head on my hand.
“We kill him.”