Chapter 35

Chapter 35: Beginning of the End

🌹🌹🌹

Namjoon and I walked out of the cemetery, still glued by each other's side. He took my hand into his once again, constantly reminding me that he was going to stay by my side. My brother always keeps his promises, I have no reason to doubt his words. I believe in him one-hundred percent, that hasn't changed since we were kids, and that's never going to change.

The bus arrived in just minutes, and we climbed on after paying the riding fee, following another man who got on with us.

We walked towards the back of the vehicle and sat down beside each other as the bus started moving. While we rode, I rested my head on Namjoon's shoulder, my mind and body felt exhausted, right now I really needed a nap. Just as I was closing my eyes, I felt Namjoon's phone vibrating in his pocket. As he fished around for it, I sat up, looking at him with confused eyes. He simply shrugged and answered the call. I also pressed my ear against the phone, listened.

"Namjoon! Where are you?!"
It was Yoongi Oppa. He sounded... distressed?
"We're on the bus, why?" he asked, giving me a worried look.
"Get off the bus right now!" he screamed, his voice ripped through the line. "You two are in dang-"

Everything felt like it was in slow motion, my mental processing slowed down to the speed of a snail, but I couldn't stop it. A foreign force slammed into my side of the bus, and I felt it shoot through each muscle, each bone within my body. Namjoon didn't have enough time to grab me and pull me into his chest; just as he was reaching for me, he was thrown into the aisle of the bus like a rag doll. His back hit the outer edge of the seat and he cried out in pain amongst the screaming and crying of the other passengers.

To say that the glass windows simply shattered was an understatement. The windows exploded into fragments, flying everywhere as if they were caught in a fierce tornado. Many of the shards embedded into my back and arms, and I immediately felt blood flowing from the cuts. Unbridled fear and horror coursed through my veins as I hung on fear dear life- the bus was spinning out of control, the driver was unable to stabilize the wheels which felt like were on ice. Namjoon was still lying on the floor, covering his head with his arms.

Another vehicle slammed into the side of the bus, unfortunately, it was enough to send the bus rolling onto its side. I was pulled out of my seat along with the other passengers, my body was thrown to the other side of the vehicle. A sudden and unbearable pain shot through my left hip and immediately all the air left my lungs in a breathless gasp. My brain couldn't even begin to process what was happening, even though the bus had rolled twice already. My eyes connected with Namjoon's for a split second before the bus's momentum gave out, tossing both Namjoon and me against the same wall of the vehicle.

The bus's motion came to a painful stop, followed by whimpers and cries from the other passengers. My brother was a couple metres away from me, and through my blurry vision I could see that he severely hurt; a large laceration struck the side of his forehead, and his leg looked out of place. Despite his own injuries, despite his own pain, he still tried to crawl over towards me. I winced in reaction to my brother dragging his body over shards of glass in an attempt to reach me. He let out a strangled and pained groan as he made it to my side.

"S-Sae..." he spoke weakly. "B-Baby girl, stay with me..."

I couldn't control the tears that flow streaming down from my eyes like waterfalls. Everything hurt, every single inch of my body was in pain. Something had pierced my body, followed by my clothes becoming wet. What's worse- I couldn't see what it was.

"J-Joon... I-It... hurts..."

Namjoon gently wrapped his bloody arms around my head, whispering that I would be okay and I had to keep my eyes open. I couldn't understand what was happening anymore- my brother was crying profusely, begging me not to leave him again. Not to mention the overwhelming pain in my body burning me up from the inside. I couldn't move anything below my torso, those parts of me felt like they were... paralyzed.

I feel so tired...

I feel... cold...

I just want to sleep...

I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer, they felt so heavy. The familiar sight of darkness welcomed me with open arms, and I began to drown in its cold embrace. Namjoon's voice felt so far away.

"No, no, no! Sae-Young, don't leave me!"

I'm not leaving... I'm just taking a nap...

"Sae-Young! Wake up!"

A nice... long nap...