Chapter 22

Chapter 22

🌹🌹🌹

Unnie taped a cotton ball onto the bend of my elbow the moment she drew the IV from my vein. A slight hiss of pain passed my dry lips as the pointed and sharp tip seemed to tug on my skin before finally breaking free. She disposed of the needle into a biohazardous bin on the far counter before returning back to me. Eun-Lee pulled the sweater sleeve back down my arm, the soft material rubbing against the cotton. Her eyes flickered up to mine, anxiety lacing her tired features. I knew what she was going to ask, and I simply just nodded. My sister looked up to Jin, who was casually sitting on the edge of my bed by my feet. He looked at me with worrisome eyes but eventually nodded himself. The older man uncrossed his arms before pushing off the bed; his slippers scraped across the floor as he walked out of the curtained space. With one Pat on my arm, Unnie followed him, leaving me alone.

I heaved out a sigh as I laid back down, nestling myself into the comforter and pillows. The best movement I could produce was sitting up and down, my fragile and jelly legs refusing to support me if I even tried to stand up. I couldn't believe I was out for three weeks, it only felt like… wait, what happened before I was unchained? I don't remember anything from then besides the ice cold, skin nipping air. If I even tried to manifest the memories, my head began to throb painfully. Groaning in frustration, I covered my eyes my forearm, shrouding my vision in black. Part of me wanted to know and part of me doesn't. My gut is telling me to don't even try to remember, it will only cause me more pain.

A warm glow began to circulate around my hand as it laid on top of the duvet. My arm was pulled away from my face, my vision taking a few seconds to focus. I slowly sat up, unable to speak as a soft pair of eyes crouched down to my level. Tears were steadily flowing down my cheeks, dripping from my chin down onto the blankets. A hurt whimper fell from my lips as I tried to hold it back, but ended up failing miserably. I was engulfed in a tight bear hug, my face buried into his wrinkled shirt. For the first time in years, my cries were loud and sorrowful, resembling that of a baby's wail. My body grew weak as I melted into his touch as his grip around me grew stronger.

“Baby girl…” he whimpered, his voice cracking as he tucked his face into the crook of my neck.

I couldn't even mutter his name as I wailed louder, hearing the two words he always called me by tumble from his quivering lips.

He was here, right here in my arms. Six years of his absence, growing to forget him at my dismay, that didn't matter anymore, he was right here, against me as we shared this embrace. We both grew without each other, yet we could still go back to how we would comfort each other when we were younger. His warmth and love still felt the same, that hasn't changed, I could feel it.

We pulled away from each other, but he still cupped my cheeks in his big hands. Ever so gently, he wiped my tears away with his thumbs, but they still kept falling. My sight of him blurred over again and again, no matter how many times I blinked or he wiped them away the tears just kept coming and coming. He didn't stop crying either. In short, we were crying rivers.

“J-Joon…” I whimpered, starting to cry harder.
“Oh come here kid,” he sniffled, pulling me into another hug.

My arms wrapped around his wide chest tightly, afraid that if I let go, he would disappear again. He is the only one I have left now, our parents are gone, buried somewhere I don't know. Namjoon has all the answers that would console my weary and broken soul, I need him in my life, I've always needed him.

However, I'm scared, terrified of what's going to happen now. The identities of Crimson are no longer a secret, exposed to the many faces of the Bangtan Mafia. The very group we have been trying to hide from was led by the man I was looking for, how painfully ironic. I ran from him that night in the alley, their voices sounded the same as I recalled that moment where he spoke to Mr. Yeong and orders for Jungkook to tackle me and pick me up. Neither of us knew who we were dealing with, our actions were justified and unjustified. At that moment, we had to be gang smart, thinking of everyone as your enemy until you see the soul behind the mask. But now, what are we supposed to do? I can't help but worry about what's going to happen to us. What's going to happen to the Crimson Princesses of Incheon?

Namjoon hoisted me onto his back, carrying me piggyback style. I laid comfortably on his back, feeling his form against mine, the muscles in his back moved as he adjusted his hold on me. He said that he didn't want me to sleep alone in the infirmary, knowing about my past battles with sleep deprivation. It made me smile through the tears as he remembered the nights where he would come into my room and we would talk until we fell asleep. I missed that so much- well, Chopa was there to talk to, but the only replies I would get would be barks, whines and yawns, not much conversation, is it? I mentally shook my head, I didn't need to worry about that anymore. Namjoon was right here, I hope he doesn't leave me ever again.

When we stepped out into the hallway, Jin and Unnie were absent. They must have gone back to bed after leaving me in Joon's care, trusting that he would look after me. However, one person still remained.

“Tae? You didn't go to bed?” Namjoon asked, the vibrations of his voice in his back tickling my front.

I sleepily looked at him, where I saw slight adoration in his black orbs. He looked cuddly- maybe because I was lethargic and sleepy- like a giant teddy bear that would give warm hugs. Taehyung tried to answer my brother, but he nervously stuttered over his words, twiddling his thumbs. He momentarily took his glance away from Namjoon's eyes to look at me then back at him.

“C-Can I…?”

“Can you….?” Namjoon repeated after him, dragging on the 'you.’

I chuckled lazily, catching both the men's attention. I had a feeling where Taehyung wanted to go with this.

“He wants to stay with us,” I teased.

Namjoon tensed up as Taehyung tore his gaze away from ours, a bright blush dancing across his mouth cheeks. He turned to face him completely, where I could assume he was staring daggers at him. Before he could open his mouth, where I guess he was going to flat out shut him down, I grabbed and pinched his cheeks.

“Come on Joon,” I pouted, yanking on his face. “What's one night going to do?” I persuaded. “Besides, he does anything I don't like, I'll kick him off the bed.”

My brother groaned, unable to disregard my mood. He could never resist my cuteness when we were younger, he can't even stop himself from getting soft with me. Bingo, his weakness.

“Fine,” he sighed. “But I'm in the middle.”

“Nope,” I denied. “I'm in the middle, I'm the smallest. If I'm on the end, I'll fall off. Shotgun on the middle.”

I plopped down onto Namjoon's large bed, feeling the soft mattress against my back. Namjoon just chose to leave things in my hands, meaning I got to sleep in the middle. It was getting really late, we just wanted to sleep. I pulled one of his many pillows under my head, fluffing it to make it more comfortable. Namjoon slipped under the covers, with Taehyung following soon after. I didn't object to when I felt both of them wrap their arms around me, I was just too tired to even say anything. Namjoon had his arm under my head, wrapping his arms around my shoulders and upper back, while Taehyung hooked around my waist. Everything felt nice and warm, it was easy to fall asleep.