Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Reaaaaaaaaally long filler

🌹🌹🌹

The tuft of boldly coloured orange hair sprinted out of the room, appearing inches away from me in a flash. A bright, happy, but saddened smile tugging on his lips. He thick arms snaked between my stomach and Taehyung’s back, peeling me off of his form. His large hands disappeared from my thighs as I was lifted into the air before gently laid on top on their front. It felt natural to wrap my arms around their neck, burying my face into their shoulder. Arms hooked tightly around my smaller form, engulfing me in a tight bear hug. Their nostalgic warmth radiated towards my heated skin. (Courtesy of Taehyung?) A long chain of memories flashed through my head like a lightning bolt.

“Hobie… where have you been?”

Broken and guilt flooded, but light chuckles fell from his mouth. His hand cupped the back of my neck, the tips of his fingers delicately making contact. The side of his face nuzzled against my head, the soft flesh of his cheek resembling silk. I could feel his emotions run through his actions- I felt his guilt, his worry, his remorse, however, I could pick up on something that always caused me to look up to him.

That sweet brotherly-like side of Jung Hoseok.

He’s never changed, not one bit. Hoseok is still that ball of sunshine, the man whose hope is your hope, your hope being his hope. With a single smile, he could cheer up an entire room of gloomy people. His crazy antics as a child always lightened my mood and made me smile after a hard day at school.

“I’m so, so sorry…” He whispered softly, his voice cracking. “Namjoonie needed me…”  

Tears were streaming down my cheek, soaking into his laundry soap scented shirt. Just like Namjoon, he disappeared; as if they’d jumped into a magician’s hat and vanished into thin air. Our families were close, if the Jung’s and Kim’s relationships could be described in a phrase, “best friends” would fit the bill. Whenever the Jung’s got the chance, they would visit us in Ilsan, coming all the way from Gwangju. While the adults grew close in the garden with alcohol and conversation, the kids, being Namjoon, Hoseok, his older sister, and myself played board games, watched movies and argued over snack distribution in the living room. When it all came to an end, we would all fall asleep on the couch, me being snuggled in the middle of Namjoon and Hoseok, while his sister took care of her dongsaengs, throwing a large blanket onto us. When they both left, it hurt and I felt lonely. While Hobie’s older sister still came, it just felt like it wasn’t complete.

I had momentarily forgotten that Taehyung was still beside us, looking on us with soft eyes. He slowly padded his feet towards the two of us, the palm of his hand landing on the small of my back. Turning to meet his eyes, I gave him a gentle and thankful smile. Taehyung sweetly mirrored my expression, a beautiful sparkle appearing in his eyes. His hand migrated up to the top of my head, the warmth kissing my head. He quickly leaned towards my cheek, the plump texture of his lips pecking it with a soft chu. Before pulling away, his thumb stroked my head.

“I’ll leave you to catch up,” he sincerely said. “Breakfast will probably be ready soon. See you later.”

Hobie and I watched Taehyung skip down the stairs before his blonde hair disappeared around a corner.

Hoseok carried me into his messy bedroom, where I couldn’t help but notice the clutter on his floor, desk, and the chair closet in the corner. Papers with lines of black inked letters, blank ones, even sheet with blue scribbles covered the surface beneath our feet in a two-dimensional snow-like land. I have never recalled Hoseok being a messy person, maybe this was a once in a blue moon occurrence? Whatever it was, he was trying to sweep up the papers and clothes with his foot into a not so neat pile by his desk. He had a nervous smile on his face as he rubbed the back of his neck with his palm. Hobie quickly grabbed a blanket folded on his bed front bench, stretching it out before draping it over my smaller form. The fleece material kissed the skin of my legs.