Prologue

The pain was unbearable. It burned right down to my core. I thought that my bones were about to snap and that my head was going to explode. Every inch I moved, the more my body felt like it was on fire. This was not normal.

What the fuck had happened last night?

I remember being at a party and then the rest of the night had been a blur. Actually after the moon had come up everything seemed strange.

Had I been drugged?

Was I Drunk?

High?

Fuck did I have sex with someone?

Nate was going to kill me. He told me it wasn't a good idea to go out last night and of course I didn't listen.

Stupid fucking full moon.

Stupid body.

Stupid me for being so head strong and stubborn.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Dick move Kaylie, you have really done it this time.

I really wish my head would stop answering back.

Fuck, I must be really wrecked.

Slowly the events of last night were coming back to me but they were still pretty hazy.

I was lying naked on the grass covered in mud and I had no idea where I was.

Why was I naked in the first place? I never took my clothes off.

Memories of running through the forest ran through my head as well as me chasing and attacking many animals. I padded over to the lake and saw that blood coated my skin where I would have had fur.

Wait, Fur?

SHIT?!

I was a werewolf?

There was a full moon last night and all the other kids had changed with me.

How the hell does that work? I didn't have the werewolf gene. They told me it had skipped me, that I was a freak when I didn't shift on my sixteenth birthday. I had turned seventeen two weeks ago and this was the first full moon since.

I guess Nate had been right and going to that party was a bad idea.

Words flashed through my head of names I has been called for the last year.

Abnormal

Freak of nature

Unwanted

Waste of space

I was an Alpha's daughter and a damn shame to my family.

I was an outcast as such. I liked being different or so I thought.

So much for skipping me you bastards. Payback really is a bitch.

I smiled to myself evilly as the memory of hunting with the rest of the pack came back to me in pieces. Running through the woods, someone showing me how to kill.

That poor bunny, but where was the rest of the pack?

What was the time?

All I knew was that someone had a lot of explaining to do and I would not be happy about what I was about to hear.

I knew this would be the beginning of hell for me. There better be a damn good reason why I hadn't changed with all the other wolves on be sixteenth birthday.

I guess I got what I wanted after all; I really was different I thought before passing out.

When I woke up again, it was close to dawn and I knew that I needed to get back home and in my bed, before anyone had realised that I never came home last night. Well the only one who would probably realise would be my brother Nate or my mother and I seriously doubted the second of the two.

I was a strange creature. My only "friend" was my cousin Imogen and I didn't have a great bond with my parents. Everybody in the town or "pack" thought I was strange and abnormal because I hadn't shifted and now they probably thought I was a loony who ate bunnies in my spare time.

My thoughts kept me company as I made my way home. I noticed that the forest was different. I wasn't sure if that was because I was now a werewolf or I had just never viewed the forest as it truly was in its natural state. 

Someone had a lot of explaining to do when I got home. I guess the stories they tell you at bedtime are real after all.