Chapter 5

Keith had just gotten a new job after he had been... let go of his previous one. It sucked, but unfortunately, it was nothing new.

   Although, there was one thing different. Lance McClain, a boy from his previous work, was now conversing with him. Talk about something extremely different. And no, if you don't think that is a shocking development then you don't know Lance at all.

   You see, Lance was one of those gifted people; the introvert that everyone likes and relates to. He seemed nice, genuinely happy with his lot in life, popular, well-liked, and Keith hated him for it.

   Keith had never talked to lance, and up close, the man wasn't all that great. He had rumpled hair, pallid skin and bags under his eyes, his smile that was easy and vibrant from afar seemed forced. Keith could have sworn he was depressed. Except... Lance hadn't always been like that, had he?

   "Hey," Keith smiled shyly. "What's your name?" Keith frowned at himself. He wasn't entirely sure why he was so blatantly lying, but it might have had something to do with the fact that Lance probably didn't know Keith's name.

   "Uh," Lance smiled with the ghost of a smirk, "The name's Lance."

   Keith's eyes widened, and he hoped Lance hadn't noticed. So, he'd never seen Lance's amazing smile up close... it was nice. No, it was more than nice, it was both heart-warming and heart-wrenching.

"Keith, you think I could get a hand over here?" Lance called drily.

Keith blinked, oblivious to the fact that Lance had already known Keith's name. Well, perhaps somewhere deep in his brain he noticed, but as oblivious as he was? He probably put it down to good memory or something.

"Of— of course. What do you need help with?" He quickly recovered from his brief stuttering, and managed to push all thoughts aside.

Five minutes later, Keith could tell Lance was bored. It was all in the body language.

"So..." Lance grinned, "You got any siblings? What school do you go to? What's up with that mullet, dude?" Lance began a barrage of questions, an attempt at amiable chatter.

Keith answered them quietly and quickly, not putting himself forward in any way, much to Lance's discontentment.

   Lance stared up at the far away clock, unable to see the obscure numbers, so instead of taking the effort to walk a mere few steps closer, he reached into his back pocket to grasp his phone.

   "Aw, yeah!" Lance grinned up at Keith, "Lunch."
Oh, no... Keith blinked, staring just a little too long at Lance. His blue eyes shining with excitement, and the way he looked up from under his lashes as he stared up at Keith.

   "So?" Keith asked irritably. "It's not like I have anywhere to go for lunch in the first place."

   Lance looked concerned. "Keith, lunch is always treasured, it means a brief period of time dedicated wholly to eating, and having a break from work. It must always be looked forward to, lest you anger the mighty lunch god."
   Keith raised an eyebrow.

   "You can hang with me, Kogane. Shout me lunch, and we'll get along just fine."

They went to a little cafe down the road, with healthy food options and tea.