thirteen

Mingyu was mad. Not mad at his father but mostly mad at himself.

He brought the girl into his room to let her rest for a while. He knew it was a panic attack and that she wasn't very good with strangers, especially people who reminded her of her father. He walked out to confront his father.

Mingyu gulped, waiting for his father to scold him but his father just sighed, "Is she okay? What happened?" He picked up the notebook and pen on the floor, passing it to Mingyu, "Why didn't you tell me you had a girlfriend?"

"She's not my girlfriend," Mingyu gulped, "yet." His father chuckled as he hit his son's shoulder, "So what's up? Why didn't you tell me?" Mingyu pouted as he placed the notebook and pen on the island, "It's complicated. She's mute and had some traumatic experience. She's staying here until I find out what's going on with her and her father. But why did you come here? Why not stay at mom's place?"

"I told you," he chuckled loudly, "I'm crashing here! I'm here until we leave! Your mom would kill me if she found out we were running away." Mingyu's palms were sweaty as he reached the part of the conversation he had practiced in his head so many times, "Uh dad?"

"Yeah?" his father replied as he sat down on the stool at the island. Mingyu sighed and opened his mouth to say the words, "Dad, I'm not going with you. I've changed my mind. I want to stay here and continue my job. I'm sorry but I think you'll have to travel the world by yourself. I'm sorry. I really am."

His father's face didn't falter but it stayed the same. He was probably trying to hide his disappointment, "Why is that so son? I thought you've always dreamed of traveling to many different places and leaving this boring city."

Mingyu sighed as he placed his hand over the notebook on the table before looking back at his father, "It's just because I've found a new dream. Dad. I think I love her. And I don't want to leave her side."