twenty-two

She could tell he was working too hard for her sake.

Almost after only an hour of words, the boy had fallen asleep right next to her. She felt guilty knowing what she had done was of no use and that all she did was put him in danger. Her hands softly touched Mingyu's hair as she watched him sleep.

Hyein's mind ran through possibilities and evidence that she might actually have somewhere but she couldn't think of any. She was getting nervous by the minute as the voices crowded her mind, causing her to think of the worse.

He must've felt her heart beat race faster for he woke up as her breathing became louder, "Are you okay?"

She shook her head.

How could she be okay? She was a burden to the man she loved yet she wanted him to be there to protect her. She was scared and weak.

"Hey, don't worry about it," he smiled as his teeth showed slightly and his eyes sparkle with a little sign of pride, "I think I know how to fix this all. Don't worry about it too much. Let's keep him in jail first before we decide on the trial. Your father would want to bring it to the court."

She nodded because that was all she could do for him. Hyein wanted to tell him that he didn't need to do all this for her but she knew she wasn't capable of it by herself anyway. The good voice in her head told her she should be grateful for someone like him.

"Are you worried about me?" he chuckled as he looked at the girl caringly as she nodded again, "Don't be. I want to do this for you. You deserve better than everything that has happened to you in your life. I want to help you live a better life."

She reached over for her notebook and pencil, writing, What is your solution?

He proudly pulled out a USB from his pocket, waving it in the air, "I visited your mom today and she revealed the location of all her evidence she had collected. It might not show much of his abuse to you but it will prove him guilty of abuse to your mother and sister."

Tears welled up in the girl's eyes as she thought to herself for a moment. Flustered, Mingyu stopped smiling as he saw the Hyein on the verge of tears, "What's wrong?"

Her shaking hand wrote out, Why did she not submit this before? For herself?

Mingyu sighed as he shoved it back into his pocket and leaned over, placing a soft kiss on her forehead, "She knew you were going to ask so she wanted me to explain to you. As a mom," he paused, looking at her intently, "She was afraid you wouldn't be able to live with a father. So she was hoping that it would get better as she left. Only did she recently find out about it."

Holding in her tears, Hyein's hands found Mingyu's and squeezed it tightly, comforting herself yet making sure she wasn't hurting him with her nails. He held her hands patiently and sighed, looking down at his hands.

He needed to tell her.