twenty-six

Hyein was nervous to meet her mother again. Her hands were shaking as she walked through the mental health hospital. Breathing in and out rapidly, she reached the room where her mother was staying at.

Slowly sliding open the door, she gave her mom a little wave. The older lady was sitting up in her bed, facing the door way. It was obvious she was waiting for her daughter.

"Mom." Hyein cried quietly. Her mother started tearing up at the sound of her daughter's voice, Can you speak? she signed. Hyein signed back, No, not really. I can only do a few things like calling out a few names and greetings or "I love you"s.

Hyein walked in and hugged her mother tightly as they stayed like that for several minutes. When the both of them had calmed down, Hyein sat down in a chair next to her mother as she signed, How have you been? The doctor told me you will be released soon before the trial. Are you okay with being the witness?

Yes, I am. It's been good since that young man came to speak to me. Is he your boyfriend? her mother asked as Hyein blushed while she nodded, He's amazing isn't he.

Marry him already. You can barely take care of yourself, the older lady nagged as she poked her daughter. Hyein laughed lightly I will marry him. Mom, you don't have to worry.

Her mother smiled brightly, You can laugh too. You've changed so much. It must be because of that man right?

Mom stop making me feel so embarrassed, Hyein rolled her eyes. But, in truth, Hyein was really happy her mother was feeling better. The past few months Hyein didn't visit her but the last time she did she her mother, her mother was gaunt, depressed and empty of any thoughts or feelings.

This made her wonder what in the world did Mingyu do to make her mother open up so much. She wanted to ask but her mother was bombarding her with question after question even if it was already 9pm, past her mother's normal bed time.

The two of them stayed up until midnight. Hyein nagged until her mother finally agreed to take a break and get some sleep before continuing their talk in the morning.

As the moonlight peeked through the window, Hyein wondered how Mingyu was doing. She smiled as she thought of him and all the good memories they shared. And, with that, she closed her eyes and fell asleep with a smile on her face.