twenty-one

Medicine. The room smelled like medicine.

If you had to ask her how the room seemed to smell, that would be her answer. A sharp smell passed her nose and her eyes snapped open. Her senses were dull as she took a moment to register where she was.

The blank walls made her feel almost empty. Looking around, her eyes darted from the doctor to the nurse, almost asking for their attention. The young female doctor turned to her and smiled, "You're awake! You woke up pretty quickly."

The male nurse handed Hyein a small notepad and a pencil, "Here," he boomed, almost scaring the girl, "Use this to your convenience." She nodded slowly as she accepted the materials and started to write, Where's Mingyu?

"Ah," the nurse nodded as he clapped his hands together, "You mean the boy that came with you? He's okay. He woke up two days ago." She bit her lip and wrote some more at the space on the bottom, What happened while I was asleep? How long was I out?

The doctor's mood seemed to drop as she looked at Hyein, "You were out for about five days. Your father was arrested but his lawyer managed to get him out for now. They have to find more evidence that is allowed." 

Hyein furrowed her eyebrows as she wrote to the doctor, What's wrong with the evidence that I presented? A long sigh came from the later as she crossed her arms, "They claim part of your video was lost and that Mingyu submitting the evidence is illegal since his part was erased."

The girl knew her father had used his money to fix the problem he was facing. As the doctor and nurse finished checking everything, they were just about to leave as Hyein reached for the nurse's sleeve, tugging it lightly as she wrote, I'm scared. Don't leave me alone. I don't want my father to come after me.

"Don't worry," the nurse hummed, "There will be guards outside plus the boy should be here any minute now." As if on cue, Mingyu swung open the door and gave the girl his biggest smile as he rushed over just as Hyein tried to sit up.

He supported her body as she struggled for a bit, "Woo! You're finally awake! I was beginning to get worried." She smiled and despite the pain on her side, she stretched her arms around the boy and gave him a big hug.

He softly embraced her as his cheek landed on her shoulder, "I'm here so don't worry." And she knew she was safe. She was safe everywhere and anywhere when he was at her side.