twenty

He thought it was the end. He watched as the girl closed her eyes, her body loosened and suddenly limp.

But he wasn't dead.

The pain seared past his skin and he knew he was shot. Reaching for his shoulder, he flinched when the hurting spread throughout his body. He had to ignore it. For her sake.

He spun around just as the man aimed for another. Mingyu held onto his shoulder as he dodged the bullet. It nailed into the wall with a loud thud as the boy kicked the man. Bewildered, Mingyu almost got distracted when he realized the man was stronger than he thought.

"How could you do this to your own daughter?" he growled as the man shot again but missed as the metal bored a hole into an award on the cabinet behind him. Mingyu was furious as he glared at the award.

"Jealous?" the man asked, "I won that award while keeping this bitch quiet. I'm pretty lucky to have such an obedient child, don't you think?" Mingyu didn't care about his injuries anymore as he swung a punch at the man, throwing himself on the shorter guy.

The man was still armed so Mingyu pinned his arm down. The two struggled on the cold floor for a moment before Mingyu heard a sharp noise and yet another wave of pain struck him as he felt a blade slice at his side.

Kicking the knife away, Mingyu stood up and stepped on the man's arm before he could move. The gun is released from the man's hand as Mingyu bent down, picking it up. Now the table was turned.

The man was pinned down with no weapon in his hand. He was helpless and silent. Like the rest of his family.

"Is this how it feels like?" he chuckled as Mingyu continued to aim, "You'll never shoot me." The boy held it back. He knew that the man was sure of it. There was no way he could shoot him. No way.

"I can't believe you had the guts to run for president," Mingyu grunted as he stomped his left foot on the man's arm, earning him a loud groan, "You never deserved even the recognition."

Hyein's father chuckled loudly even if he really was in pain, "Every moment you don't finish things off, leaves Hyein less time. But I'm her father. You can never shoot me." Mingyu was furious, he couldn't believe this man was still uttering such nonsense.

His vision started getting hazy and breathing became harder for him. Somehow he had managed to forget the pain for a few moments but all of it was coming back. Finally, he heard the call from his friend, "Drop the gun! Hands up and drop the gun!"

Mingyu's hands flew up and released the tool, letting it drop to the floor as the police closed in. He removed his feet from the criminal and backed up, letting the police take care of him. Turning around, he stumbled to Hyein's limp body.

One hand on the cut on his side, he tried to keep his eyes open as his foot brought him to the girl before it gave up and his body collapsed right next to her. Panting, he whispered, "How could you give this as a birthday present?" before he lost his consciousness.