twenty-three

"I lied."

Her heart shattered. But it was natural to lie. She didn't know why it hurt so much. Maybe he was lying that he lied. She wanted to convince herself otherwise.

"I didn't save everyone at that rooftop. I didn't."

Hyein gulped, not wanting to hear it but she knew he had never told anyone else. Never.

His hands left hers as he covered his face, breathing in a long gasp before breaking down right in front of her. His tears escaped the cage of his palms and ran down his shaking arms as it ended at the tip of his elbows.

She bit her lip as she let him calm down a little first. Her mouth opened to tell him to not cry and only a small noise came out as her throat tightened painfully. He didn't hear her but it was okay. 

Her small hands reached out and grazed his arm slightly before settling her grip on his arm, pulling it away from his face. She nodded as his eyes came up to her face and he breathed out almost in relief as his lips parted, "I'm so sorry, Hyein."

He shook his head again and again, "I didn't save them all. I didn't. I couldn't."

Confused, she sat there trying to calm her anxious heart down. Mingyu sighed again, "Your sister. Kang. Hyejeong. I didn't save her. I couldn't save her. I was so scared as she got closer to the cliff with every word I said. I say the same thing to everyone. It works every time. I don't know why it didn't work that time. I just-"

Her face was already covered in her tears but she wanted to comfort him as her hands slid into his. She shook her head once and mouthed, It's okay.

"I'm sorry," he sobbed as he held her hand, "I didn't know. Maybe I should've told you first but when I saw her in the videos your mom gave me, I recognized her and maybe, just maybe, I feel like protecting you even more out of guilt."

Hyein shook her head, mouthing no again and again. She didn't want him to feel this way. He didn't deserve such guilt. He deserved so much more. The girl wanted to tell the boy how much she looked up to him as a man who had to save many with his grand heart.

But she couldn't.

And it made her feel guilty.