Chapter 8: ASL?

'Hello'

He waves from across the cafeteria. You look around to everyone in the cafeteria. Surely he couldn't be talking to you. But a look around shows you that Dave was really talking to you. You bring up your hands

'You know asl?'

'Only way I can talk.'

'Oh I'm sorry'

You feel guilt well up it the pit of your stomach for not realizing it earlier, but now it makes since from how he acts, he never talks tot he people around him and he always helped with the project by writing directly on the paper. You always figured that he never said anything cause nothing held his interest, if he thought he was too cool for speaking. He seemed that way. You look back up at him and he's signing again.

'Dude, its ok, you look like you just witnessed somebody kicking a puppy.'

You smile at him apologetically. Karkat finally looked up from his game he was playing on his Game-boy and scowls at you.

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR HANDS IDIOT"

You look over at Karkat and burst out laughing.

"I'M FEELING REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE RIGHT NOW ARE YOU INSANE?"

Your chucking in between each word now.

"No. haha. I just. hahaha. realized something. hahaha"

"OH HAVE YOU OFFICIALLY REALIZED THAT YOU ARE AN ABOMINATION TO THIS PLANET AND YOU ARE LAUGHING BECAUSE YOUR LIFE IS A COMPLETE AND TOTAL LIE. CAUSE ITS ABOUT TIME"

"Wow. Rude. No, I was laughing cause Dave is mute..."

"WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?"

"Means he incapable of speaking"

"OH, WELL I KNOW YOUR AN ASSHOLE JOHN BUT LAUGHING AT PEOPLE DISABILITY IS A NEW LOW"

"I didn't mean it in that way dude, I was laughing at myself for not realizing about it sooner"

"ARE YOU GUYS BUDDIES CAUSE I'M NOT SURE SOMEBODY SITTING ON THE COMPLETE FUCKING OPPOSITE OF THE CAFETERIA IS CONSIDERED A FRIEND"

"I'm not sure why he's talking to me. I think he just wants to copy my homework or something"

"WOULDN'T DOUBT THE ASSHOLE"

"hmm"

"ALSO I HEARD HE SAVED YOUR WEAK ASS FROM BEING BEATEN UP YESTERDAY"

You huff and look away.

"Not weak, just don't prefer violence..."

"RIIIGHT...weak"

You stick your tongue out at him and giggle.

"YOU KNOW YOU COULD HAVE JUST TOLD ME THAT YOU USED TO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THOSE KIDS, I'VE COULD HAVE HELPED YA KNOW?"

"I know. I just didn't wanna cause you anymore trouble"

"YOU ARE AN INCOMPETENT IDIOT, NEXT TIME JUST TELL ME OK?"

"Ok"

You smile at Karkat. You know he's got your back but he is your first friend since elementary school and you didn't wanna lose him just yet for nagging about probably pointless things. Your a grown teen and you can handle yourself if you need to.

You look back up at where Dave was standing and he was gone. Huh, he didn't tell you why he even talked to you in the first place. Wait how did he even know you knew how to speak sign language. You've never mentioned it before....

===========================

Your name is Dave Strider and what started off an idiotic attempt to speaking to John ended up learning something new. john knows sign language.....John knows sign language! You can talk to him now... You could tell him everything. Then again would he even believe you. Would he believe that he's your 10 year old friend from the internet. Maybe it would be even funner to try to re friend him in the human world. Sounds stupid, but no matter how much you want to hang in real life the fact that he hasn't recognized you makes you feel a little upset. Then again you've giving nothing for him to recognize you from.

You want to see if John the king of obliviousness would be able to realize its you. If not... You'll tell him on his next birthday, somehow...

Right now... You just want to make a friend.

God that sounded so sappy...