10- Dalta: Pukey Car

I sat in the living room tapping my fingers on my lap. My parents weren't excited about me going on a date so I had put a lot of lies into it and left out information. I had told them that Penny and her friend were coming along and that it was at a bowling alley. Lies from Satan's armpits.

"I still don't like it," my mother said with low brows, sipping her cup of chamomile tea. "Why do you think that you have to date?"

"Uh, because kids my age date all the time. And I'm old enough to marry in some states."

"You're still young, Dalta." A soft smile hit her face as she turned to my dad. "Remember when we were dating?"

"Yeah," he said sternly, shaking his head at me. "We dated twelve people at a time. Back then dating wasn't restaurants and late-night sleepovers at your date's house."

"Dad," I groaned.

"Dating was getting to know other people before you start courtship. And that was when the real dating started. You kids these days have five babies before you turn twenty-three."

Ethan honked his horn outside. I quickly grabbed my purse. "Bye, mom," I kissed her forehead. "Bye dad," I kissed his.

"Can we meet him?" My mom smiled, preparing to get up from the couch.

"When I get back." I rushed out of the house before my folks could say another word. I quickly rushed down the steps. I got into the car and we drove off.

I sank into my seat, feeling slightly uncomfortable. Something whispered a warning in my ear. I ignored it. Everything seemed okay. The smell of weed was distant, but there and the dashboard was a bit dusty. But, the car looked pretty clean in other areas. Ethan wore a black suit and tie, his jacket thrown in the back seat. He looked pretty sharp, his blonde hair slicked back and shiny. "You look nice." He smiled at me, his teeth perfectly lined up and white.

"Thank you," I smiled back, my cheeks burning red. "So..."

"Do you like Chemistry?"

I was a bit caught off guard by the question, but I shrugged and answered it. "No."

"Me either," he said in chuckles. "But I need it, so..."

"Yeah...me too."

We sat in silence. His hand tapped the wheel. As we pulled up to a red light, he started tapping faster. He suddenly turned to me. "So, what's with you and Otis?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. We're friends."

"You two were never friends." he chuckled. "Never pictured you becoming friends with him."

"I'm friends with Penny and he's friends with her brother."

"Peter?"

"Yeah..." I held my breath. "Do you know him?"

"...Not really. Met him over the summer...Okay dude."

I squinted my eyes at Ethan.

We drove for about a half hour more, Ethan bringing up awkward topics like how weird Penny was, and how much the school hallway always seemed to have this "dead rat odor" that was "slight, but there." For a rich kid in a suit, I expected him to bring up more interesting topics like politics or the economy...or the Illuminati. I wouldn't have much to say, but I love hearing people talk about their perspective on things like that. TALK...not shout like Otis.

We pulled up to the restaurant. Ethan grabbed his jacket and got out of the car. I sat waiting for him to open the door for me. Instead, he opened his and looked at me. "You're not expecting me to open your door for you, are you?"