59- Dalta & Otis: Better

Dalta

I got out of Todd's car with the bag on my shoulder. I took a deep breath, then walked up the front steps of Chad's house. I rang the door bell then stepped back. The door opened. Chad's maid squinted at me. "Bet-"

"I'm here for Chad."

She nodded then stepped back into the house.

I rolled my eyes, then smiled.

Chad walked over to the front door. He quickly stepped outside and shut the door. "What do you want?"

I shrugged. "To say sorry."

"You made me take you out on a date so your friends could rob my house-"

I pulled the bag off my shoulder and held it out in front of me. "Here."

He looked at it. "What's that?"

"Every last dollar."

He looked at me. "Why?"

"Betty didn't want it... She talked some sense into me."

His brows fell. He chuckled. "Betty talked some sense into you?"

"Yeah... She doesn't deserve this. Any of this," I shook my head, then thought about Otis. "Raise your kid, Chad...you'll regret not being there for them."

He looked away in shame.

"Take the money-"

He grabbed the bag.

I nodded once and smiled then skipped down the steps. I rushed over to the car and got in.

"That was fast," Todd said, starting the car.

"Next stop, the gas station."

***

Otis

I slipped my running shoes on my feet, then stood. I stretched my arms, then my legs, then breathed in the fresh air. My grandmother sat on the bench laughing at me. "You weren't this energetic two weeks ago when we started running together."

I shrugged. "Well, I guess I'm changing."

"I guess so."

I looked at her and smiled. "I may even start going to the gym, you know? Sheila? She says it's a good idea."

"Mrs. Sheila. Have some respect for the lady. She's your therapist, not your friend."

"Sheila," I mocked my grandmother, "said to refer to her by her first name. But of course, you'd have a problem with it...Gertrude-"

My mother laughed behind me.

I turned to her.

"Respect your grandmother, sir."

I smiled and shook my head.

She titled hers. "I'm so proud of you." She walked over to me and hugged me.

I hugged her back. I turned around at the sound of a car pulling up to Penny's. Todd and Dalta got out. Dalta looked at me. She turned away then skipped over to Peter who was standing by his car. They both got in. Todd started making his way over to my house. I walked down my steps. "Hey," I stared at Dalta and Peter as I greeted Todd. "What are they up to?"

Todd turned to watch the car drive out of the drive way. He waved at Dalta. "That gas station Peter tried to rob? They spoke to the owner...explained why they did it. Turns out that whole thing about the owner being a drug dealer was a lie. Soft guy. Told them he wouldn't call the cops if they helped out every Sunday."

I smiled. "This was Dalta's idea, wasn't it?"

"You know her." Todd blushed at the ground.

"Ask her out again."

He looked at me, shocked. "You guys just broke up."

"Yeah, nearly a month ago... Ask her."

"Are you sure?"

I wasn't. "Would I tell you to if I wasn't?"

"Thanks man."

"Sure." I turned away and frowned a little.

Someone suddenly held my hand. Angie stood beside me in a t-shirt and sweatpants.

"You're up early."

"I'm running with you."

I lifted my brows. "Really?"

"Yeah." A soft smile hit her cheeks. "Let's go already."

I turned to Todd. "Later."

He nodded. "Later-"

"Tag!" Angie poked me. She laughed and started running away. I quickly ran after her.