44- Dalta: Not Right

I felt someone touch my shoulder and opened my eyes. Otis was sitting on the bed beside me. He smiled. "Hey."

I smiled back and slowly sat up. "Hey." I rubbed my forehead.

"I-uh..." He looked at Penny. She stood with a bag on her shoulder. She nodded at him. He looked at me again. "Do you wanna go find Betty?"

I gasped. "Yes!" I squinted. "...When?"

"Today, but we have to leave now." Otis stood.

"Here." Penny walked into the room. She opened her drawer and handed me some folded clothes. "This is yours. You left it here. You can change into it."

"Okay." I smiled at Otis, then looked at Penny again. "Are you coming with us?"

Penny looked at Otis. "Yes. Yes, I am."

I grinned. "Can Todd come too?"

Otis shook his head. "No. No, he can't."

"Why not?"

Otis looked at Penny then he looked down and rubbed his nose. "He...has a family thing."

"...Oh." I frowned. "He'll miss this." I shrugged and smiled. "But we'll tell him about it later." I stood. "You guys wanna give me a few minutes?"

Otis looked at his watch. He sighed. "Yeah..." He sighed, then walked out of the room with Penny.

I began to change my clothes. I took off my skirt and stepped back, stepping on something. It was my phone. I picked it up and turned it on. I had fifteen missed calls. All from Ethan. I quickly dialed him back, squeezing the phone between my ear and shoulder as I slipped on my pants. It went straight to voicemail. I lowered my brows then threw the phone on the bed getting fully dressed. I picked up the phone again and dialed Ethan one more time. The same happened again; voicemail.

Otis knocked on the door. "Dalta, could you hurry? Please?"

"I'm coming." I looked at the door. "I just..." I looked at the phone. I walked over to the door and opened it. "There's something wrong."

Otis stared at me. He shrugged in this irritated way, as if I was annoying him. "What's wrong?"

"Ethan called me all night last night. And now he won't pick up his phone."

"Maybe his battery's dead. I mean, he was at the party, right?"

"Yeah...But why would he call me so many times?" I showed him my phone. "Look-"

He suddenly grabbed it.

"Hey!"

He shoved it in his pocket. "I'm holding onto it. We need to go." He walked down the hallway.

I looked at Penny. She looked pale. A forced stiff smile hit her cheeks. "Let's go find Betty, okay?" She walked over to me and held my hand. Her hand felt cold, like it had been in a freezer for days. I followed her out of the house to Otis' car.

He sat inside staring at the road and gripping the wheel. I got into the passenger's, staring at him. "Are you okay? You look-"

He turned at me with wide eyes. Then he chuckled when he noticed me returning the same stare.

"You know, we don't have to go if you don't want to-"

"I want to," he blurted, gripping the wheel.

I looked back at Penny, then at Otis. "Well? Let's go-"

He immediately stepped on it. We sped into the road and began to drive.

"So," I stared out the window biting my nails," since you guys put this plan together how long do you think we'll be on the road for?" I looked at Otis. "Do we even know where we're going?"