43- Otis: What's Going On

I quickly rushed out of Peter's house and ran over to my car with my heart beating in my temple. I slowly walked over to my trunk unable to breathe. I gulped, then slowly opened it. My eyes grew. I quickly slammed the trunk shut again. I looked around the quiet neighborhood. The sky was turning blue. It felt eerie watching it brighten while I panicked internally. I took my key out of my pocket with trembling hands, then I stumbled up the front steps and made my way to the front door.

The keys unlocked the front door and I rushed inside then froze. Everyone was asleep. I took a long deep breath then tried my best to run up the stairs quietly. I got to my bedroom and threw open the door. Scurrying around, I grabbed my backpack dumping out all of my books on my bed. I grabbed my deodorant and lotion then opened my drawer and grabbed a few shirts, underwear and one pair of jeans.

I pulled my shirt off my back and dropped my pants then grabbed the pair of jeans, slipping them on. I grabbed a shirt and pulled it over my head without tucking my arms into the sleeves. Then I began to stuff the clothes into my bag. I zipped it up and threw it over my bare shoulders, walking over to my dressing table. I lifted my stack of books. A roll of money was flattened underneath them. I grabbed it and stuffed it into my pocket, then rushed out of my room. I looked at my watch again. 5:25 A.M. "Crap!" I looked under my grandmother's door. Her light was on. She was awake.

I sprinted down the stairs, then out the door and over to my car. I threw the trunk open and threw my bag inside. "Otis?"

I slammed the trunk shut and turned back to my house. "Grandma!" I put my hand on my waist and waved the other at her. "Good morning."

"What's going on?" She walked on to the porch with her running shoes in her hand.

"Nothing," I lied, rubbing my nose then standing straight.

"Are you sure?" She pointed at my bare stomach.

I looked down. "Oh-" I quickly slipped my shirt on. "I uh-"

She laughed then sat on the porch bench slipping her shoes on. "How was the birthday party?"

I cleared my throat. "Awesome- I have to go back over to the Mahoys' for a bit. But I'll see you...again."

"Okay-"

I briskly walked back to Peter's. I walked up the steps then into the house. Someone suddenly grabbed me. I swung my fist at Peter and he quickly ducked.

"Holy-" He covered his head.

I looked down at him putting my hand on my chest and taking a deep breath. "Sorry."

He stood up still blocking his head. "What if I was Dalta?"

"Dalta doesn't have that hard a grip."

He chuckled and shook his head. Then he frowned. "Here." He pointed a gun towards me.

I flinched. "Dude!" I quickly stepped aside.

"Sorry." He held it downwards. "Take it."

I hesitantly took the gun out of his hand with wide eyes. "Geez."

"I know." He shoved some bullets in my pocket along with some money.

"I already have enough-"

"No." He looked at me. "The money in the trunk isn't for you."

"I get that, but-"

"It's all for Betty. All of it."

"I have my own money."

He stared at me then shook his head. "Take what I gave you. I don't know how long you'll be gone for so..."

I looked down at my pocket. My thigh looked swollen. I lifted my brows. "Thanks."