18- Dalta: Two Straws

Otis and I walked into a diner tense and anxious. The red car had disappeared a few blocks away, but he insisted that we go eat anyway. He was still uncomfortable. We sat on stools in front of the counter and looked at the menu on the wall.

"Whoa," he said, jerking his head back. "Things cost a lot on this side of town."

"Yeah," I agreed.

"We can buy one milkshake and share it. I mean...," he looked at the half-full unfinished glass two stools down, "they look big anyway."

"What do you mean share it?"

"With two straws." He continued to stare at the menu as if he hadn't suggested something crazy.

A girl stood in front of us wearing a bright pink shirt and maroon apron. "Hi," she said with a smile. "Have you guys figured out what you want?"

I sighed and turned away, looking around at the people sitting together. There were many couples holding hands and laughing together. My brows fell. Some of them had shakes with two straws in them.

"Hey," Otis touched my hand. "What do we want?"

"We?" I stared at him.

"Yeah. As in the flavor of our milkshake."

I slowly nodded looking down. "Vanilla maybe. It's up to you."

"Vanilla."

"Coming right up." The girl walked away.

I looked around again, then looked at Otis. "I don't see a red car anywhere. We can just cancel our order and leave." I looked at all the couples sitting around one more time.

He looked around too. Then he snickered and shook his head. "Dalta, come on. You can't be nervous because of them."

I shrugged and looked down feeling my face burning up with embarrassment.

The waitress walked back over to us with the tall glass. Two straws floated inside. "A Vanilla milkshake with two straws and one cherry." She put it down in front of us. "Enjoy."

"Wait," I said after hesitating a bit.

"Yes?" the girl smiled.

"Is there any chance you can pour it into two separate glasses?"

"Uh-"

"Don't mind her," Otis shook his head. He took money out of his wallet and handed it to her. "We're fine. Keep the change."

The girl grinned. "Thank you." She skipped away.

I folded my arms on the counter and squinted my eyes at Otis. "So, you can give her that big a tip, but you couldn't buy us separate shakes?"

Otis snorted and smiled. "Dalta-"

"I could've bought one for myself."

His eyebrows narrowed. "What is your problem?"

I let out a sigh and looked around. "Nothing." I took a sip of the milkshake then I leaned back, pushing my hair away from my face.

Otis stared at me with his usual judgy stares. "You think I'm trying to date you."

I sat upright. "I never said that-"

"Dalta, you don't have to. I can see it. Since after we kissed you've been acting weird-"

"And you haven't? You're acting like we're dating."

"Because I had to protect you from Chad. He looked at you in this way... I lied. That was stupid. I guess I thought it would be easier to say that than to sit there and let him make assumptions about us."