14- Otis: Eggplant Emojis

I woke up to a knock on the door. "Peter!" My eyes grew. I had forgotten to set my alarm. "SHOOT!" "Peter," Penny knocked again. I quickly sat up. I looked at Dalta. She laid on her back fast asleep. Her mouth was open and dribble soaked the pillow. I would've thought it was gross if I hadn't seen the tear stain on her cheek. "Pete." Penny knocked harder. "Open the door, you idiot!"

I groaned and got up. I walked over to the door and opened it slightly, just enough for her to see half of me. "What!"

Penny's furrowed her brows in shock. "What are you doing here?"

"I slept over."

"You slept over?" She snorted. "You're kidding-"

"No. I'm not. What do you need?"

"Is Peter in there?"

"Yeah. But he's... scantily clad."

She glared at me. "I know you're just trying to be funny, Otis. This isn't Call Me by Your Name. You're underage, straight, and this is the real world. Where's my brother?"

"I'm not underage...He's downstairs-"

Dalta groaned. "Otis?"

My eyes grew large but Penelope's were much larger. Before she could say anything, I walked out and shut the door. "I can explain."

"That you slept with Dalta! You? A boy? Her mother's gonna kill her!"

"I didn't sleep in bed with her... I mean...I technically slept near her-"

"Why are you two sleeping in my brother's room? Did he let you do this for some bro favor or something?"

"Okay." I held my finger in her face. "First of all, you can just say favor, sexist. And second, we're here because Ethan ditched Dalta on their date that she lied to her parents about. And I had to pick her up. She was scared to go home and I brought her here."

"So, why was Peter out last night? What's his excuse? Did he pick her up too?"

I rolled my eyes. "Peter had his own thing going on. Why don't you go ask him?"

She rubbed her chin. "He must've let you guys into the house. Which means he got home before you did."

"Oh my..." I shut my eyes and took a deep breath. "Penelope," I said her full first name angrily and opened my eyes," go ask your brother before I strangle you or kill something that doesn't breathe."

She furrowed her brows in bewilderment.

"Also, why haven't you asked about Dalta being ditched by her date outside of town? What a good friend you are-"

"I overheard you guys last night." She ignored me. "A lot of arguing...You guys did something. I know it-"

I chuckled trying not to lose myself and get angry...angrier. I said casually and smiled and titled my head, "If you don't get out of my face and stop playing Nancy Drew, I promise you, Penny, I'm gonna commit another crime-"

"Look," she cut me off before I could confess, stepping closer to me and lifting her head high. "I'm bigger than you. So, threaten me all you want but something doesn't smell right and I have a nose that sniffs out secrets-"

"Glad you can smell my morning breath. Do you want a medal?"

"I'm going to get to the bottom of this-"

"Penny?" Peter stood on the top of the stairs.

We both turned to him.

"Dad wants to talk to you. He's in the living room."