Chapter 23: The Return of Hope and Despair

As soon as the meeting began, all eyes focused on the Demon Slayers.

Even my team and I were watching them. It was like they were somehow drawing our attention.

"Now then, it's time to discuss what we came here for," Gordan began. "The main reason why I called you all here, including the rest of the hunters, is that there's a new threat on our hands. A demon that calls himself the Demon King."

Oh, crap. He's talking about me.

When Gordan mentioned this, the whole Hall started to get loud with the murmurs of the hunters.

"Is that true?"

"There's no way, right?"

"After all this time, the Demon King finally shows himself?"

More and more voices started to fill the Grand Hall with their unanswered questions. There didn't seem to be an end to the talking which resulted with Gordan raising his hand.

The moment he did this, everyone fell silent again. Geez, this guy knows how to calm a crowd.

"The Demon King, huh?" Henry pondered. "How long as it been since that guy's shown up?"

"I believe it's close to a few thousand years," Sarah answered. "But my question is why this monster shows up now after so long."

"For once, Sarah's asking the right questions," Ava admitted. "Why is it that after so many years ago since The Demon King's disappearance, he shows himself now?"

The Demon Slayers tried to figure out the reason behind the Demon King's sudden reappearance.

Hey, I have an idea! How about you ask him?

Look! I'm standing right here! Ask me anything!

Like hell, I would do something so stupid! There's no way I was going to reveal myself in front of all these hunters.

I'll get cut down the moment I expose myself. No way am I that suicidal.

Although, that does raise a question in my mind. How come I don't come clean.

Before you start thinking that I'm actually suicidal, let me explain. It's true that I'm the new Demon King, but I'm also a Demon Hunter.

The moment I lost my sister to those demons, I've sworn to myself to hunt and kill every last one. Now, after figuring out my family line, I'm somewhat indecisive on that now.

After spending time with Vemon and the others, I'm finding it harder and harder to stay committed to my oath. So, that's when I thought instead of killing all demons, I'll kill only the ones that cause people harm.

Sounds like a good idea, right? Well, I'm still uncertain about that.

Just because I kill only the demons that actually cause harm doesn't mean the demons that don't go unchecked. What I mean is even if I let them live, it doesn't mean the other hunters will.

That's when I was thinking about revealing myself to the hunters. Since I'm the Demon King, I can be of great use to the Demon Hunters, but that's where things get tricky.

If I tell them my lineage, then I'll likely get killed on the spot. With me out of the way, it'll be the end of the demons, probably.

Although I'm a great risk, I'm also their only hope to stop the demons because of my other side, My holy side. Since I'm also a descendant of the hero, I'm the hunters' greatest ally.

So, which side will they think will prove them more helpful? My holy side of my demonic side?

To be honest, I think they'll go for both. The reason I think that is because they'll not only have their hero at their side, but also the Demon King.