Chapter 35: The Unlikely Truth

It seemed that Steve wanted to talk to me about something, so I told Kyuu to get him and meet me in my office.

Once she and Steve arrived, I told her to guard the door and make sure that we won't be disturbed. While she was on watch duty, Steve and I sat down so we could talk.

"So," I began. "What is it that you wanted to talk to me about?"

"Something came up, kid. Something bad." Steve's expression showed that he was deadly serious about this.

Since that was the case, I should pay attention.

"Go on," I told him.

"Well, when we got back to the base, one of the Slayers decided to pay a visit."

A Demon Slayer came to our base? I don't like the sound of that.

"Who was the Slayer? Was it Gordan?" I asked nervously.

Ever since Gordan questioned me, I couldn't help but feel cautious around the guy. If Gordan came by to visit, I'm not sure what his real motives are.

"No," Steve replied, "it was Sarah."

Huh? Why did the Ice Queen come to our base?

Gordan was one thing, but I don't understand why Sarah would go to our base.

"Why was Sarah there?"

"Apparently, she wanted to inform me about something. Something that involves you."

Uh-oh. Don't tell me that she was the one that figured me out.

I started to sweat a bit, but I kept my composure and remained as calm as possible.

"What is it?" I asked.

Steve sat there for a moment, trying to say what he wanted to, but for some reason, he couldn't. This usually doesn't happen to him.

When he wants to say something, he never hesitates at all. He says it the way it's supposed to sound or how he interprets it.

The fact that he's unable to tell me means this was, without a doubt, serious.

"Steve?" I called him to try to get him to tell me.

We glanced at each other for a few moments, then Steve sighed.

". . . Sarah told me that there's a demon calling herself the Demon Queen." He finally told me.

Wait. The Demon Queen?

I've never heard of a demon like that. Although, I can see why this involves me.

Since I'm the Demon King, I'm supposed to be the ruler of demons, but this Demon Queen seems to be trying to take that role.

"Okay, so what does this Demon Queen want?" I kind of knew the answer to my question, but I wanted to be sure.

"What the rest of the demons want; to destroy the humans and rule the planet," He answered.

Figures. I shouldn't have expected anything less, but I guess it's too late for that now.

"Also," Steve continued. "The Demon Queen has declared war against not only us, but also you, The Demon King."

It took me a minute to process what Steve just told me, but I managed to get the gist of it.

Okay, this Demon Queen is after what the rest of the demons want. That part I get.

What I don't get is the part where this person is waging war against me. I didn't say I was on the human side, nor did I say I was on theirs.

It didn't make sense why this Demon Queen was trying to fight me when I haven't even announced who's side I'm on. I'm definitely on the human team, but I still haven't announced it yet.