Chapter 37: Treason

It's been a couple weeks since my conversation with Steve, and things since then have been getting worse by the second. 

One of them being the fact that my demon subordinates and servants were informed about the Demon Queen. I told Vemon and the others to tell everyone in the mountain castle about this because it wouldn't be fair to keep everyone in the dark. 

. . . Unfortunately, thanks to me jumping to that idea, I didn't consider the problem I'm having with some of the people here. 

As we all know, I am not only the son of the Demon King, but I'm also part human as well. Due to this, some of the demons here consider me unfit to be their ruler. 

Do I blame the people who think this way? No, because they're somewhat right.  

Ever since Steve picked me up and raised me as a Demon Hunter, I've only done things that a fighter would do. Any decisions I've ever made in my life as a Demon Hunter was through instincts as a warrior.

But, now I'm a King, so I have to change my perspective and my habits from being a fighter. I can't just do things I would normally do when I was a Demon Hunter.

To make things worse, since I'm a King, I have to lead a lot more people than before. Back then, it was just my team and me, along with Steve, but now, I have about a few hundred followers awaiting my orders.

It's to the point where I start to get nervous and freeze up. Seriously, do all rulers have to go through this much pressure?

How do they manage to do this? Is there some kind of instruction manual that I missed when I started this King business?

If there's something that I'm missing, then someone or something out there, please tell me what I'm doing wrong!

While I was panicking in my office, Vemon rushed in with a concerned look on her face.

"Young Master! We have a situation!"

And just when things couldn't get any worse, they do.

"What's wrong?!" I asked in an alarmed tone.

"It's the demons! Some of them are planning to go against you!"

Are you kidding me?! This ain't even funny!

I didn't waste any time and told Vemon to fill me in on the details.

After Vemon and the others told the other demons about the Demon Queen, there's been a lot of talk from everyone. Some of the chatter involved whether the demons should go join the Demon Queen instead of me.

This was enough to cause a little turmoil in the castle. Things got even worse when Vemon and the others discovered who planned to go against me.

It seems that the ones that are trying to go against me are currently in custody in the dungeon room. So, I told Vemon to take me there.

I haven't been to the dungeon yet, so I didn't really know what to expect. At least these guys aren't in the torture room.

That wouldn't be fun at all. In fact, how come these guys aren't in the torture room?

I'm pretty sure that going against the King would result in either torture or the death sentence. Since I was curious, I asked Vemon about it.

Her answer was that only the King can permit torture. She told me that centuries ago, in my grandfather's reigning years, there was an incident with the servants permitting the tortures of traitors.

They went a little too far and my grandfather was furious. So, he decided to make a rule where the King must permit torture to be allowed.

Since I'm the King and I didn't know about the traitors, they couldn't go and issue the torturing. Well, it's not like I'm going to tell them to torture the traitors, so there's nothing to worry about that.