Chapter 16: A Tragedy

It was a sunny Tuesday afternoon in September when I got the call. I was five months pregnant, and Hannah had just started 5th grade.

I heard my cellphone ringing so I picked it up and it was Hannah's school calling.

"Hello?" I asked, wondering what the problem could be.

"May I speak to Ms. Queen?"

"This is she, what's wrong? What happened?"

"Hannah passed out in gym class, and she hasn't woken up yet."

"Oh, my god! Well, what are we going to do?"

"With your permission, we can send her to the hospital. You can come down now, if you like."

"Yeah, I'll be right there," I said, hanging up and yelling for Christian.

"CHRISTIAN! HANNAH PASSED OUT AT SCHOOL! COME WITH ME! I'M GOING DOWN THERE NOW!"

"Okay! Let's go. I'll drive," he said, grabbing his keys.

When we got to the school I saw an ambulance parked outside. We raced to the office, asking where Hannah was. They showed us to the nurse's office and I saw Hannah. She was just laying there, her chest rising and falling slowly. I ran over to the cot, and kneeled next to her.

"Baby, baby girl, wake up!"

"Ms. Queen, there's no use. She hasn't responded to anything yet. The medics are ready to take her now. You can ride in the ambulance if you'd like."

"Yeah, okay. Christian, drive to the hospital now, okay?"

"Okay," he said, taking off.

"It'll be okay baby, it'll be okay," I sniffed. I felt my eyes start to water and saw a tear drop fall on Hannah's shirt.

As I got into the back of the ambulance, I felt Hannah begin to shake.

"HANNAH, HANNAH!" I shouted, trying to hold her down.

"Oh, let me handle that. Hey Chuck, speed it up! She's having a seizure!" The medic said.

I started crying. I wished Michael was there with me. When we reached the hospital, CC was already there, waiting. I rushed into his arms and started sobbing.

"Christian, c-call M-M-Mikey!" I sobbed.

"Alright, I will. Don't worry, it'll be okay Kai, it'll be okay," he said, patting the back of my head. I looked up at him and really noticed why I loved him so much. He called Mikey, and he was on his way. After a period of waiting that seemed like forever, we saw a doctor come out.

"Ms. Queen, Mr. Mora, follow me please," the doctor called us.

"How is she?" I asked as he lead us to her room.

"Well, we believe her heart had stopped for a few minutes, then started again. But when it started again, she started seizing. We're going to need to do some scans, but we think she might have a hole in her heart."

I started crying again. "Does that mean she won't make it?"

"I'd say she has about 2 weeks to live. I'm sorry," he said. I fell to the ground, sobbing. Christian patted my back and I saw a few tears fall. I know he was trying to be strong for me, but it was so hard to be strong, knowing that someone so close to you won't be around to see next month.

"C-Can we g-go see her?" I asked between sobs.

"Yes, I'm sorry. Here," he held open the door.

I walked into the room, seeing her hooked up to so many machines. I just felt like dying right then. I rubbed my now very large stomach, felt one of the boys kick, and thought to myself, "They'll never get to know her. One of the sweetest little girls ever." I started sobbing into CC's chest. I couldn't handle it all. I raced into the bathroom and dug around in my purse, looking for my blade. Upon finding it I moved my bracelets and let the cool metal graze my skin. Once, twice, three times. I watched blood seep out, and started weeping. I dropped the blade and curled up in a ball. I rocked back and forth, thinking about how I could even handle this.