Broken Hearts & Empty Promises

"She's dead..." Darren mumbled into the phone, using his tail to wipe away a stray tear lingering somewhere near his eye.

"You're kidding." Grayson stammered, feeling his friend's agony in the air from over 450 miles away.

Aimee had been in a heated argument with Darren at the highschool, something about his friend Gregor trying to hurt her. Anyway, she was travelling home to spend another night alone (her parents were away on business) when she suddenly flipped the brand-freaking-new Honda CR-V he had gotten for her over a guardrail, plummeting down a tree-dotted hillside to her death. Darren watched the whole thing unfold from the driver's seat of his BMW M5, forced to watch the woman he'd loved that whole year plummet down that ravine. She hadn't cared whether or not he was a furry, she didn't date him just because his parents were rich (mhmm), she didn't leave him when the going got rough... what would happen now that she was gone?

"No, I'm not. I'll call the others and tell them; I need you to fly back here as soon as possible." Grayson was in Indianapolis, visiting family, and it would take him 3 ½ hours to get back if he left at that moment.

"Dang..." Grayson began, balancing his phone on his shoulder as he told his parents what had happened and ran outside to catch a taxi. "So what even happened? I heard she was mad at you but... The airport, please."

"Hmm?"

"Taxi driver."

"Ahh."

***

Gregor stepped out of his beat-up Subaru and jogged over to the place where Aimee's car went over. He'd never liked the birch after she'd scored him a detention (irl), and even though he knew it was bad to speak ill of the dead, he'd never approved of his friend's choice in women anyway, and this right here was a prime example why.

As Luca made her way over to the group, Gregor couldn't help but stare. Her form was small and fragile, and even though she was lesbian he wanted for all the world to be with her, even if that meant going against his beliefs.

"Hey Greg, where's Darren?"

It took him a second to reply, due to him google-eyeing her lips as she spoke, but eventually he managed a reply.

"He's trying to dig Aimee out of the wreck."

At that moment, Koda appeared on the horizon, jogging down the side of the road. He didn't have a full license yet, so he'd been running about 2 miles and looked like he was about to collapse in the ditch to rot there.

"KODAAAAAAAAAA" Elaina called, tailing him on a riding mower. She obviously didn't have a license either.

"Wait... where's Adrianna?" Darren asked, emerging out of the woods with Aimee's body draped across his back.

"I called everyone..."

Just then, his phone vibrated, causing him to jump and drop Aimee's body onto the hood of his car. Her blood coated his shaking hands as he answered the call, thankfully from Adrianna, and sat on the Guardrail.

"This is..."

"I KNOW WHO YOU ARE YOU IDIOT!!!" She screamed into the receiver. "Grayson's flight's delayed and now because of your stupid now-ex girlfriend I'm gonna miss my family's new year's party!! WE HAD FONDUE!!!!!!! I WILL KICK YOUR (Elaina drags Aimee's body off Darren's car, bleeping out Adrianna) WHEN I GET BACK THERE!!!! DID ELAINA JUST BLEEP ME!? I HAVE CAMERAS IN YOUR CAR, DON'T ASK, AND I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHI-"

Darren hung up on her.