Dancing the Night Away

Let the ball begin."

The words echoed throughout the almost empty ballroom only to return to the dancer's ears, enticing sufficient eye rolls from all in attendance. Mostly from Raven, if anyone was wondering.

She sat against the wall in jeans and a tank top, reading as usual, despite all her sister's attempts to dress her up nice and actually participate. "Ball? No offense, Mr. Prince guy, but this feels more like a private gathering."

"You get the picture," The prince replied, running his fingers through his red hair. "It's a force of habit."

"Can we just enjoy ourselves for one night, please?" Grayson exclaimed, exasperated. "Remember, all of you. Code Walrus." He smirked and tugged nervously on his tie.

"What's Code Walrus?" Darren wondered aloud, staring suspiciously at his friend.

"Oh, just some silly catchphrase I came up with."

"Suuuuuure..."

"I hate this stupid dress..." Luca muttered, interrupting their conversation with her complaining. "Why'd we have to do this? When's dinner?" Her stomach growled in response. "I need my steak."

Elaina made her way slowly over to the rest of the group just then, dressed in a blue gown and shimmering in the fading light of the sunset that glowed through the skylight and into the gigantic room.

Darren walked off into the direction of the door. 'What are you doing?" Evelyn asked jokingly. Darren nervously laughed. "Heh, nothing, just kinda gotta go to the bathroom." He said. "C'mon, let's just have some fun." "I guess it can wait." Darren said. The two then set out into the room as Eliana watched silently from behind.

***

Grayson was excited. Darren didn't expect a thing and his plan had come into motion, he just needed the right music. He walked over to the Prince.

"Hey." He said. "So, the plan is working great, but I need the songs to be perfect, so, may I make suggestions?" "I don't know, I had to get a last minute replacement for the band." The Prince said. "What?!?" Grayson said. "What are we supposed to do now?" He asked. "I've found an alternative, I just may need a bit to help it come into effect." The Prince said.. "Good." Grayson Said. "We need those two together." Grayson looked over to see Darren heading for the door. "Where are you going?" Grayson asked nervously. Everything was going wrong. "Nowhere, I just really gotta go to the bathroom." "Oh." Grayson replied. "Carry on then."

***

Gregor wasn't big for parties like this, he knew how things could spread in a place like this. Gossip spread fast and gossip was one of the things he hated the most about parties. The fact one wrong move could mess up the way your friends view you.

Things were already bad enough at the time, he was having issues with Luca as of recent. He knows deep down things will never work out, and he knows it's silly he's holding onto these things. But, you can't just turn off how you feel. It's gotten to the point where she won't speak to him. She sends people to deliver her messages. Mostly to get rid of him or to tell him to stop doing something.

Then again, this ball was a very important event and it was for his best friend. If it meant casting aside a grudge with Luca then that's how it must be.

The Prince slowly walked up to Gregor, as the others had broken off, he was nervous, but still needed his help.

"Excuse me, Sir." He said to Gregor. "Yes." Gregor replied. "Mr. McEwan, I need help. The Band I hired isn't showing, I need some form of music and I have no alternatives, I've heard from my nephew you are a decent musician." The Prince said. "Yeah." Gregor said. "I'll see what I can do." He said.