The One where We're All Tired.

It seems as if George was right about the Order stuff because the very next morning, we were summoned to Grimmauld place so we could be briefed on our first mission.

"Now," Moody growled, making me stand up straighter.

What? The man was scary.

"We're going to pair up. Yes? Work in pairs, have each other's backs."

"What a fabulous idea," George nodded, "Amy? How would you like to be my partner in these life endangering adventures?"

"Well, I would really quite enjoy it," I grinned, the two of us snickering childishly as the 'adults' shared some concerned looks, which I immediately noticed, "Unless, you don't think that's a good idea...?"

"What?" George asked, "Amy and I are a great team."

"I don't doubt that for a second," Remus said, rubbing his forehead, "It's just...you two are in a relationship."

"And...?"

Mr Weasley leant forward, "George, son, what if the two of you are on a job and god forbid, Amy gets hurt? What's the first thing you're going to do?"

I looked at him to see him looking right back at me, "He's going to come see that I'm okay."

"Exactly," Lupin exclaimed, "And you'd do the same to him. It's not that we don't think you're not a good team, it's just-"

"They're right," I say, not looking away from George, "We'd be distracted if the other was hurt."

"All right, I'll go with Fred." he offers, seeing the others nodding.

"And Amy, we can pair up," Tonks grinned, "We'll be better than those two."

"Pfft," Fred scoffed, "Okay, Nymphadora. We'll see."

I barely had time to duck out of the way before a biscuit was lobbed his way.

**

Suggesting that George and I not pair up was wise.

I mean, I knew that it was going to be dangerous, but I didn't know just how many bruises, cuts and burns I was going to come home with some nights.

Like the other night, on what was our third job together, Tonks and I were trailing a couple of Death Eaters through London when after going unnoticed for almost four hours, she tripped over a drain cover and blew the whole thing, leading us to be caught up in a small spell fight.

Tonight, it was Fred and George's turn to go out and like always, I stayed up; unable to sleep and worrying about the two of them. They were late.

The mission was only supposed to be three hours, four max but it had just gone over six hours.

I stayed up until I heard, from through in the living room, a loud crack and I scrambled out of bed and rushed through, skidding to a halt in the doorway.

Fred was fine, but George was currently sporting a rather deep cut on his forehead.

"You're bleeding," I murmured, moving to the kitchen to grab my muggle first aid kit.

"Amy," Fred sighed, "You can just heal him with yo-"

I stopped him with a rather harsh glare, which he took to mean sod off which he did so quickly, muttering something about taking a long shower.

"He's right though," George said, looking up at me from where he was sat on the couch, "It'll be a lot quicker."

"Can you please just let me do this?" I snapped, shutting him up immediately and I immediately felt guilty and I fell down onto the couch beside him, my forehead pressing against his shoulder, "I'm sorry."

"Hey," he whispered, his fingers tapping my chin to get me to look up at him again, "What's going on?"

"I'm sorry," I repeated, feeling my eyes burn as I kept my face buried in his jacket, "I didn't mean to snap. I just, George, I'm so tired. I knew this would be hard and I knew what I was signing up for but...I just didn't know how hard."

"I know," he agreed.

"Waiting up for you, to see if you and Fred are alive," I cried, "Seeing you come home covered in cuts and bruises."

"It's hard for me too," he murmured and I felt his lips against my forehead, "Remember the first time you came home with a scratch? That's all it was but it still made me want to wrap you up in cotton wool and not let you leave my sight."

I spluttered a laugh and finally pulled away from his chest, reaching up to wipe at my tears, "Took me forever to convince you to let me go back out."

"I know it's hard," he whispered, pushing some hair behind my ears, "But you've got to remember what we're fighting for."

He was right. I couldn't forget that we were doing all of this for us. For our future, for our world's future...for our children's future.

I wiped my eyes once more and picked up a disinfectant wipe from my kit, giving him a smile, "This might hurt a little."

** 

The next morning, George was still out when I woke and after pulling on one of his jumpers and some jeans, I meandered through to the kitchen to put on a pot of coffee, letting out a quiet groan when I opened the cupboard to an empty jar.

"Woah," I spun around to see Fred sitting at the table in his PJs, my hand pressed against my chest, "What's got your wand in a knot?"

"There's no coffee," I sighed, "'m gonna go across to the bakery. I'll get us some pastries for breakfast too."

"Hang on," he called as I got my purse from my bag, "Let me get dressed and I'll come with you. I've not been in yet."

"Oh, okay." I nodded, "But hurry up. You know I can get cranky."

He met me downstairs in the shop and the two of us crossed the alley to get to the bakery, which you could smell as soon as you exited our building.

The bell tinkled when we entered, alerting the brunette who was busy icing some buns to our presence.

"Amy," Anna greeted, "Morning. You here for your usual?"

"Please," I nodded, "And can you throw in some croissants? Three if you don't mind."

"Of course I don't mind," she laughed, "Anything for one of our best customers."

"Oh stop!" I waved a hand, realising that Fred had been awfully quiet and I turned to see him staring at Anna as she disappeared through the back with a dazed sort of look on his face, "Fred? You okay?"

"Her name's Anna?" he asked in awe, "That's...I like that name."

I looked back at the young woman as she returned, a knowing smile on my face and I approached the counter, "Say, Anna? Have you met my boyfriend's brother?"

She shook her head, "I haven't even met your boyfriend."

"Oh, right," I laughed nervously, "Well, this is-"

"Fred," the man suddenly exclaimed, clearing his throat as his ears started turning red, "I mean, I'm Fred. Fred Weasley. Freddie to my twin and Frederick to my mum sometimes if we've pissed her off."

I placed my hand on his arm, "Stop."

"Right," he whispered, "Rambling. Sorry."

Anna bit her lip to supress her smile as she rang us up and as Fred dug around for his wallet, I could see her watching him with the same look he had been giving her.

Fred has a crush.