Trying To Know You-Steve

For @jtboccardo. Check her out! Enjoy.

TRYING TO KNOW YOU

Joanna's POV

It was my third day in Tulsa. The place is alright, just that it's not really my thing. There's not much. It's kinda, dry. But that was probably due to my loneliness. I didn't have any friends at the moment. So I couldn't really use an excuse to look around. My mom had left to get groceries, and then find a boyfriend. Why not take my chance to explore. Tulsa here I come!

After walking around, I was able to go to a park, and a diner. As I walked a little bit more, I found myself in front of a gas station. 'The DX' it read. There was a deli too. I shrugged. I needed a snack anyway. So I walked to the door. There was a handsome star looking guy. He was pretty fit for an average guy. I mostly like his color eyes. It reminded me of the plain sky. I grabbed a bag of chips, gum, and a coke. The guy smiled, and I returned one. Meanwhile the guy checked out my stuff, I grabbed a pack of cigarettes too. He had a badge that read 'Sodapop.' I didn't want to laugh so I asked.
"That's your actual birth name?"
His expressions told everything.
"Don't worry, I'm not judging. I'm Joanna."
Soda nodded and handed me a bag with my items.
"You knew here?"
I nodded and hummed along.
"Yeah I am. Any advice?"
I handed him the cash.
"Just stay away from the Socs. Rich kids. They'll probably jump you. Especially if you're a greaser."
Socs? Greaser? So I have to grease my hair in order to be a greaser.
"So you have to have grease on your hair?"
He laughed.
"Nah. Greasers are poor, that mostly smoke cigarettes, and wear mostly leather. It's like a street type of thang."
I nodded. I was a greaser. Oh yeah. A proud one too. I'll rather be one than a bratty Soc.
"Well thanks Soda. See ya around."
I walked out. Near by I heard someone whistle. I turned around. There stood a muscular guy. He had an eagle tattoo and uniform. It was open a bit. Who am I kidding, it was entirely open. And he was even fitter than Soda. Without me even concentrating, he was walking over to me.
"Ey, what a girl like you walking around 'ere?"
He was cute. Handsome even. But after he cat called me, I felt offended.
"Why you wanna know?"
He put his hands up in surrender.
"Easy, I'm just tryin' to know ya'."
I chuckled.
"Know me? What for?"
"So maybe I can take you out sometime."
I shook my head. I walked away, but felt a hand pull my arm.
"Hey, why won't you watch it."
"Why can't I talk with ya'. I don't bite. Let me know you. We could go to the DQ. It's on me. What you say?"
I rolled my eyes. I wasn't trying to make him chase after me. Just wanted to know whether if he was a real one.
"Wouldn't even think of it. Besides I don't even know you."
"Hey my name is Steve Randle."
I tilted my head and glared at him.
"Well Steve, I'm 'not interested' ."
Steve laughed.
"C'mon. That's why I'm asking to take you out. So we could know each other. I'm trying to get to know you. To see what comes after."
"Why me. There's many girls out there."
"Yeah, well you caught my attention."
I crossed my arms. Caught his attention?
"Your beautiful is what I'm trying to say, alright. Now will you go out with me or what?"
I smiled. And walked slowly away.
"Yes Randle."
"Wait! I never got your name."
"It's Joanna."
"So tomorrow night?!"
"Yes Steve!"
I heard him Indian screech from distance. Guess Tulsa wasn't so bad.