Chapter Sixteen

The next morning when I woke up I was going to take Sage in town but the snow didn’t hold up. Good thing it wasn’t coming down that hard or else my car would be covered. The snow ruined what I had planned even though I was upset about it Sage didn’t mind. My head is currently resting in his lap while I flip through the TV channel while he’s reading a book. Even though I’m not bored I feel like we’re an old boring married couple. My phone vibrated indicating a new text from Carter. I had text him this morning to ask about Elliot.

            Carter: Everything is fine. He’s still here.

            Me: Thanks

            “How come I’ve never heard you speak about your parents?” I don’t know what possessed me to ask Sage that. The shaking of his feet that was resting on the coffee table stopped the second the question left my lips. I felt the muscles in his leg stiffened and it was quiet for a while aside from the sound of the TV. He wasn’t making any movements so I turned slightly to look up at him; the book was still in front of his face therefore I couldn’t read his expression.

            “They’re dead,” he said coldly, his voice void of emotion. I didn’t say anything, I didn’t know what to say because by the way he said it I know his parents aren’t really dead, they’re just dead to him. I inadvertently opened up an old wound and I don’t know what to do about it. He might get even more upset if I ask him to talk about it and maybe he doesn’t want me to know. Why did I have to ask?

            I felt him shifting a lot so I turned to look at him. “Do you want me to get up?”

          “Yea, sorry,” he mumbled, his voice barely above whisper. I nodded and sit up and watch him walk out the living room. My heart was telling me to follow him and make sure he’s okay but my mind knew he needed this time to be alone.

            Two hours later and I haven’t heard a sound from Sage except the sound of the piano for maybe less than two minutes and that was more than an hour ago. Sighing I got up and went to look for him. I searched the entire house then face palmed when I saw him fast asleep on the bed in his plaid pajamas and plain black long sleeve shirt. I crawled onto the bed behind him wrapping my arms around his waist. He snuggled into me more and I closed my eyes but refused to go to sleep incase he needed to talk.

            I don’t know how long we were lying here but I knew Sage kept falling asleep and waking up. I could tell by the sound of his breathing and when he stirred and right now he’s been awake for a long time.

            “Will?” Sage called.

            “I’m awake,” I answered his unasked question. He didn’t say anything for a while then I felt him playing with his fingers.

            “About a month after the Noah incident I decided to tell my parents I was gay. It was really stupid but I told them at the dinner table, ‘Mom, Dad, I’m gay’. My mom froze and I could see disgust took over her features. They way her lips formed a thin line and her jaw clenched and I started getting scared. I was watching her so intently that I didn’t see it coming, my father flung the salad bowl at my head and I fell off the chair. That night was the first time he laid his hands on me”

            “The beating I got caused me to miss school for three days and even after that I was still sore and bruised. It never stopped. It was like he was punishing me for being gay and my mom just watched and she would look at me with so much hatred. Then somehow the whole school found out I was gay and I didn’t even have to guess who told them. Can you believe in middle school kids bullied me for being gay? One day a bunch of guys cornered and they beat me up. When I went home my mom asked me what happened and I told her, her response was, ‘good, you deserve it’”