Chapter Ten: King Of Nothing

Arthur lay on the ground with his face scrunched into a grimace

Arthur lay on the ground with his face scrunched into a grimace. His skin was slowly paling of all colour and becoming clammy to the touch. Every now and then his index finger would twitch, but apart from that he remained completely still. Mera's hands hovered above his teeth marked body, a bubble of water following between the gap.

Apparently human methods of first aid didn't work on Atlanteans, Camille had learnt that a while ago, but Atlantean sorcery existed for that purpose. Mera was one of the few that was skilled in this subject. She had started healing Arthur the moment they were back in the ship.

"Unbelievable." Garth mumbled grumpily, glaring at the immobile form of his King. "There were five Trench out there and you didn't call for us?!"

Arthur didn't reply, but this time it was because he physically couldn't. He must have been able to hear though, because Mera was ranting just as furiously as Garth was. "Seriously... Do you have a death wish? You usually know when you're out of your depth, so why didn't you trust us to help you?"

"Yeah!" Garth agreed loudly, flicking his shoulder-length hair back. "We only followed your order to not attack because we thought you'd let us know if things got too heated. What would have happened if that Surface Dweller hadn't gone back for you? It's a miracle she got you out in the first place..."

A few Atlanteans flashed disgusted looks in Camille's direction. The people of this underwater nation were very divided on their opinions on anyone that lived above water. One of them spat at the ground and hissed "Surface Dweller" with such revolution that Camille could hardly believe that they supported Arthur's claim to the throne.

Camille inhaled sharply, trying not to vocalise how offended she felt. These men didn't seem to know any English, but somehow knew that word enough to put a decent amount of hate behind it. They had learnt it for the sole purpose of disrespect.

Before they could initiate any other signs of obvious dislike, Kaldur had stepped beside them with his arms crossed. He scolded them in a language Camille still couldn't decipher, but it was enough to make them stand down. Not without one more brief glare of disapproval though.

"I apologise for their behaviour." Kaldur said sincerely. He appeared almost embarrassed by their actions. "They are not accustomed to seeing outsiders."

"Or working with them..." Camille added, still staring at the two Atlanteans. It was very obvious to her that it was more than simply 'not being use to her'. They looked as if they absolutely despised her and where she came from.

The officer's attention was stolen by a low, heavy groan coming from behind. She swivelled around to see Arthur stirring. His teeth were bared in a growl and his body was breaking out into a cold sweat.

"Is he alright?" She asked Mera worriedly, inching her hand towards Arthur's and squeezing it supportively.

"He'll be fine." Mera replied. "The Trench have poison in their teeth that paralyses their victims. His body's just trying to flush it out."