Chapter Twelve: Atlantis

Atlantis was a beautiful, glimmering hub that managed to combine ancient architecture with advanced technology

Atlantis was a beautiful, glimmering hub that managed to combine ancient architecture with advanced technology. It was always hard to know where to direct your eyes. There was constantly a unique sculpture passing by or a dolphin swimming overhead. Mera could openly admit that she had truly missed this city. It was enchanting. There could be no possible replacement for floating passed the buildings and watching other Atlanteans wade through the water to their destinations. Though she had not been born in Atlantis, she considered it her home.

That's why it was so disheartening to see it now. Under Orm's rule there was a certain sense of fear that lingered through the water, and on every corner she saw children being trained for war. Those same kids would speak loudly, and with pride, that they were going to kill the filth that occupied the Surface world. No part of Atlantis was left untouched by Orm's thirst for revenge, all production had been geared towards the war; hunters were now soldiers and teachers were helping to build weapons. Everyone was involved, even if they disagreed with the war Orm wanted to start.

"Mera." The Atlantean that had elected to assist in the procuring of supplies finally spoke. His name was Athava'd, and though he had been incredibly rude to Camille, he insisted that he didn't want Orm on the throne. He had joined the rebellion not to save Surface Dwellers, but because he said that his life was far less complicated with Arthur as King. What exactly he meant by that, Mera had never figured out. "Do you think I could go check on my family?...I want to know that they're safe."

Mera's expression softened sympathetically and she nodded. Atlantis had changed drastically since their last visit. She couldn't blame him for being worried. "Just make sure not to raise any suspicions, and if I'm not at the meeting place when you return then head straight for the submarine."

"Got it." He responded with a sigh of relief. "Thank you."

Athava'd didn't waste any time in leaving, cutting through the water until he was completely out of sight. Mera continued towards the meeting spot, expecting this transaction to go smoothly enough without an extra person. It was, after all, taking place in the ancient ruins of the old city - from before Atlantis was forced underwater. Most of its buildings were still in decent shape, with all of their walls holding strong against the tides, and a doors that hadn't completely disintegrated over the years.

The Old City, as they called it, was located on the outer perimeter of Atlantis. Many thought that the ancient architecture should have been torn down years ago to make room for something better, but the entire area had been declared a historical landmark by Queen Atlanna. It could not be destroyed legally. Still, most residents preferred the advanced structures found within the inner sanctum of Atlantis, and so they steered clear of the Old City. That's what made it such a secure meeting place.

Once Mera entered the crumbling Town Square, she saw a flash of green appear out of the corner of her eye. It didn't take long before this same figure had floated in front of her and given a wave of greeting. "I was starting to think that you weren't coming."