Chapter Eighteen: Catching Up

Metropolis was a bustling hub of cars and people all hurrying towards their destinations

Metropolis was a bustling hub of cars and people all hurrying towards their destinations. It was one of the biggest cities, not just in America, but worldwide and somehow managed to maintain the lowest crime rate. Restaurants and other eateries filled the streets, their delicious smells lingering through the air. Unlike the atmosphere within other major cities, pollution didn't thicken the oxygen with its toxicity. Here everything smelt fresh and impeccably clean.

Camille had been granted a few days off, which was a rarity in her profession. She had decided to use this short holiday to visit Amelia, whom she hadn't seen for almost two years despite their frequent texting. She had almost been tackled upon her arrival at her friend's modest apartment. It was cosy and absolutely full of Superman merchandise. Everything from her toaster to her wall was covered in the Man of Steel's symbol. She even had toys on display with one bootleg Batman cowl that had been painted red and blue, and had the 'S' symbol messily drawn on.

"Wow...this is just creep now, Amelia." Was the first thing that had managed to slip from Camille's mouth - before any formal greeting could be uttered.

Amelia grinned widely, apparently not taking any offence from Camille's disturbed expression. "This is nothing! There are others much worse than me around here."

"That's not comforting at all." Camille's eyes couldn't decide where to look. There were so many things that demanded attention; the Superman PEZ dispenser, for instance, and the cookie jar that consistent solely of a terrible mould of his head. "I'm starting to feel bad for Superman if there's more than one of you insane fans around here."

"That reminds me!" Amelia cheered, completely ignoring Camille's words. She dug into a draw on the far end of the room, which was plastered with Superman stickers as well, and took out two keychains. One had Superman's symbol on it, the other had a trident that was often slapped onto Aquaman merchandise. "One for you and one for me!"

Camille's eyes widened. "Oh...umm...no thank you."

"Come on! It's like a friendship bracelet but way cooler! We can hang them on our keys or phones or something!" Amelia said as if this was completely normal.

"Lia, I love you, but there is no way in hell I'm wearing that." Camille found a certain degree of amusement at her friends obsessiveness, but that didn't mean that she was going to indulge in it. "I mean, what if he sees it? How am I going to explain that without inflating his ego?"

Amelia immediately raised an eyebrow at the officer, then a smile stretched across her face. "How would he ever possibly see it, unless you saw him again?...you did, didn't you?"

Camille had informed Amelia of the events surrounding the battle for Atlantis, simply because she couldn't think of any other excuse as to why she was missing for so long. Amelia had, obviously, freaked out. Not only did she bombard Camille with a long and strenuous series of questions, but she felt compelled to mention it whenever the opportunity arose. Camille now wished she had never told her about it.